Dianne
Dianne
  • Millington, TN

Mystery Tree

Sharron WDouglas HuntDianne
+5

I took these photos @ Memphis Zoo...WHAT is this tree?
  • Lori J

No pics, Dianne.

• Dianne

here they are...yea

Do you have a photo that shows the shape of the leaves?

• Dianne

Chinese Parasol Tree...I think we have found it...google it & see if you agree...

Looks like that could be it. From what I've read, sounds like it should be on the "do not plant" list.

• Sharron W

@Douglas, Why not plant it? It's invasive?

It appears to be, Sharron. Any time you read something like, "I have noticed Chinese Parasol Trees "popping up" in unsuspected places such as roadsides and woods over the last couple of years," which was posted on the University of Alabama in Huntsville's web site, it is a big warning flag.

• Sharron W

Ooooo yeah, that's great to know Douglas..... I hate an invasive plant species....I have trumpet vine problem because my neighbor (from Montana) thought they were gorgeous and planted one on the front/side of her house....now her husbands trying to repair the brick and siding damage and I'm trying to kill them out of my yard....and she's mad cause the original plant is being damaged by me spraying shrub killer on the ones in my back yard...that should tell her something....it's on the front of her house and sent roots all the way to my backyard!