Barb7802
Barb7802
  • Kalamazoo, MI

The sun bakes my front yard 10 hours a day. I need shade. What else could i do for curb appeal? Help!

Facing West, no shade, everything seems to be dying regardless of what I do.
My Front Yard Before the 100+ temps. The grass struggles.
Barb7802

• Sharon Carson Dunham

I had a couple of large rocks left per my request when building our home and everything I've planted around them has flourished. What can I say? I have lilac, delphinium, a rose, and sometimes some annuals.

• Sharon Carson Dunham

Wow, you do mean HOT! No, here in New Hampshire, we rarely get those type of temps! And since this is the granite state, there is a large amount of rock to spare lol!

• Carol

Plant some trees, the sooner the better! That should be the first order of business when moving into a new home. Locate them according to the sun/shadow pattern. You could try sail shades in the interim. Also, window tinting and exterior window awnings of some type. We went to Restore (Habitat) and bought some shutter for cheap, then hung them sideways as a window 'awning'. They look wonderful. I am located in drought stricken CA where we are on water rationing. My lawn is suffering, and we are now considering some well placed sail shades.