Penny
Penny
  • Winder, GA

Can I use ceramic tile with my photo put on it outside without too much fading?

Maxine SheehanDuv310660Penny
+2

M husband is building a wall similiar to this with small flat stones. And we want to add my photo ceramic tiles. The tiles in the example look painted on and seem to hold up well. Can we make this work?
A wall we saw at a Gardens in Florida.
A wall we saw at a Gardens in Florida.
Florida Garden Wall
Florida Garden Wall
Aother photo of the Florida Garden Wall.
  • KMS Woodworks

If you are having these tile "made for you" I would check with the manufacturer about how fade resistant they are...I know most of these thing are not so robust....I had a coffee mug made from some of my girls art...and after a few years it was pretty pale and washed out....but this may be due to the repeated washing...which may not be an issue with a exterior wall.

• Penny

Thanks, t. And manufacturer is saying 6 to 12 months for the ceramic if in the sun at all. And 5 to 7 years with the glass tiles which are twice as much. But I would hate to have to remove them in even 7 years. Not sure what to do. Sorry but I just read your reply. For some reason it would not show up at first. Thanks again.

• Penny

Thanks for the answers, but I'm still hoping for more ideas.

• Duv310660

Planning for something to last for posterity is problematic if you aren't using weatherproof materials. I would look into encasing your tile in some kind of acrylic or similar protection; or talk to someone who can recommend UV protection for sea-going vessels. This is where UV is at its highest, and he be able to recommend a treatment.

• Maxine Sheehan

I don't know if this will help, but I lived in Oklahoma at the time of the bombing of the Murrah building. The memorial that was made was 3 different but connected areas. In one are, for the children that were lost there was a wall built, about 3' high. It sort of meandered. It was tiled with tiles that had school children's prayers and handprints. The different schools had sent artwork from their children, and it was first attached to the chain link fence during the clean up time. Then collected and shipped to the tile people I believe. It is really beautiful.