Lloyd Beaman
Lloyd Beaman
  • Beaumont, TX

What ingredient can be safely added to the barrel water to kill the bacteria, but not harm the plans when used.

Gloria SAllen B360 Sod (Donna Dixson)
+3

I have constructed 4 rain barrels along the side of my home with 3/4 inch fittings. I have found that the higher off the ground the better water pressure, but even though I strain the water before going into the barrel, still particles and mosquitos get in to contaminate the water.
  • Dee W

You can read more than 1 post on this topic by typing "clean rain barrel" into the search area above. Hope this helps.

• 360 Sod (Donna Dixson)

seems like you maybe could use the same thing that you use in ponds. Here is a product that might work for you http://www.biosafesystems.com/industry_RETAIL-IntroPondCare.asp

Mosquito Dunks are plant-safe and will take care of the mosquitoes.

• 360 Sod (Donna Dixson)

So I did a little research and I am totally impressed with a product called barley balls. It is used for ponds (even with Koi) and can be used safely in your rain barrel. I even have some on order for the nursery. Since you live in Texas though, you might want to check these out on line because the drive might be a little much to Georgia. :) This product combined with the product that Douglas recommended (Mosquito dunk or Mosquito torpedo) will eliminate algae and the mosquitoes. http://www.gardeners.com/Barley----the-Secret-to-Clear-Water/5433,default,pg.html

• Allen B

I have several barrel system and gravity works great on my system,best way is make it sealed off ,my main barrel can be completely drained after it supply's the more sealed barrels .I don't know of any additives but chlorine is out

• Gloria S

I add a few drops of kerosene to my 55 gal. barrels, each time it rains {ONLY a few drops!!} to get rid of the mosquitoes.