Bernice H
Bernice H
  • Woodburn, OR

challenge: give this guy a name...can't be a hen , must be a rooster?

Bernice HTerrie KaufmanJeanette S
+38

Isnt this just weird? Looks like a creature to me. Am trying to think of a name for it, looks like a space critter to me.
challenge give this guy a name can t be a hen must be a rooster, gardening
  • Carroll A

He reminds me of Mike from Monsters Inc.

• Dee W

That's just crazy! Looks alien to me as well.

Appears to be holding up its (three) hands in self defense, Bernice. Have you been threatening your plants again?! LOL!

• Jeanette S

I am not familiar with hens and biddies....have never had them...but I did not know they did this!

• Bernice H

Hey Doug, I didnt even think of that! Makes sense tho! ha! Thanks for the input!! Too funny! @Jeanette, the first time I saw them do this I was amazed and surprised, it is like almost overnight before you notice they have taken a life of their own! Maybe it is saying.. ...to hubs, dont come too close with the weed whacker!!!

• Susan S

Wow - that is strange!! Kinda looks like antlers, sort of!! LOL

• Dee W

I also have hens & chicks, but the flower stem has more of an "antennae" look to it, I have never gotten "fingers" before.

• Bernice H

And what is strange, only THIS pot does this, I have so many baskets and pots of the same kinds of hens and chicks, but this particular pot, seems to be alienized...(my own word, but , a neat word, right?) Anyway........

• Susan S

Bernice, has this plant always done this or is this the first time it's produced this interesting "growth"??

• Dee W

I do have more than one color of H & C- maybe this is a different variety than your other ones?

• Bernice H

@Dee, no, I have taken babies from this pot, and planted them in other places. No others have done this. @Susan, this guy got weird last year too! That's why i think it is a rooster! Doesnt he look ready and able? (snicker)Yes , Sheila, sorta does! I still like Doug's observance best tho! I have been known to go out there and bully my plants!

• Terri Styer

They look lik a spiderman to me

• Vicki

I got that from walmart in a plastic strawberry container and whoa, hens and chicks outgrew the plastic strawberry container. Surprised to see a lot of flowers. I gave away some of those extras.

• Bernice H

As my little brain is working ..imagining...thinking it is something from Men IN Black!

• Sherri Curtis

it looks like a Cheaster to me with chicken feet coming out

• Bernice H

hahaha I dont know what a cheaster is, but the chicken feet is right on! yes!

• Sharron W

Cousin IT! That is the craziest thing ever...although...originally I saw a teapot...LOL

• Sherrie S

It came from outer space. Spacey is a nice name.

• Sharron W

The One eyed one horned, flying Purple People eater.....you're probably too young to know that reference...LOL

• Bernice H

@Sharron!! who me? You talkin' to me? I am as old as some hills..69, you bet I remember that song! So what is a cheaster?

• Sharron W

Oh now THAT I don't know...Cheaster....ya got me there...Unless they talking about Uncle Fester....

• Bernice H

@Sherrie Curtis....what is a cheaster..America is wanting to know!!!

• Sherri Curtis

cheaster could be his name or is it chester

• Sharron W

Almost Looks Like an Egg with Arms and an anntenna.....how about Eggbert?

• Bernice H

Yeah, I like that one too! funny!

• Bernice H

Jusssstttt in case you all are wondering about chicken hands, or eggbert...he is still reaching out to touch someone, hasnt dropped his "hands" yet!

• Susan S

Wow Bernice - he's definitely a tuff ole bird huh???

• Sharron W

I'm gonna plant me one of those before summer is gone....

• Bernice H

That strawberry pot is so crammed with hens and chicks, I dont know what kind or who, gave birth to these guys.

• Susan S

Bernice is this the first time this plant has ever produced this strange critter? Do you bring it in during the winter?

• Bernice H

Yes, this is the first time chicken hands have appeared. It is kept outside all winter, I am surprised it hasnt frozen and cracked, so this winter I will put it in the shed.He still has his hands up...I will take a picture when they fall. I cant imagine they will keep up like that. That other cactus, the century plant picture i posted, , I havent checked on yet, but probably when the cold weather comes and it freezes, then it will just plop. And these also. Pretty interesting now tho.

• Susan S

Can't you bring it inside for the winter? If they do fall off it will be interesting to see if they reappear next year!!

• Bernice H

yep..susan..I will bring it in this winter, so the pot wont crack. It hasnt yet, but you know how that goes.

• Bernice H

Can you believe chicken hands is still doing well? Looking a little skinnier, but still holding up well.

• Bernice H

chicken hands update..@Susan S @Sharron W @Sherri Curtis @SheilaG, Plum Doodles @Dee W @Douglas Hunt @Jeanette S Well chicken hands is still holding his hands upright, maybe you are right Doug, dont bring the weed whacker too close, but they are skinny, dry and sickly looking. I expect them to fall down any time.A good frost or wind..the wind we are having today, but he is still hanging in there. I touched one and it is very dry and weak..i'll let you know!

• Susan S

Thank you for the update Bernice. I thought you were going to bring him inside??

• Sharron W

Awwww I'm glad to hear ol eggbert is still holding up, (his hands) LOL... apparently those are the "runners" from a Hen and chick cause I planted some in an indoor pot and that is what they did reaching for light from the window.... maybe your's finally got too crowded and she was looking for a place to put out new roots....

• Jeanette S

Bernice, please don't get too close...after all, 'tis the season for goblins and that may be one growing out of that plant in your garden! BE CAUTIONS!! (BOO!)

• Terrie Kaufman

Having a filter does nothing but filter, it has no effect on the clarity of water. If you are in sun, especially a warmer area like AZ or FL or actually anywhere, you need a UV light to kill the bacteria and as much of the algae as you can. Are you over feeding? <grin>

• Terrie Kaufman

Opps, was it you asking about clarity, or did I post in the wrong place. I am new to Hometalk. Sorry!

• Bernice H

@Terrie Kaufman haha..yep, wrong place, but hi !