Repurposed Treadle Sewing Machine

I love treadle sewing machines. My mom always had one. We actually used it on occasions too. That bullet shaped bobbin always intrigued me.
repurposed treadle sewing machine dining table, diy, repurposing upcycling, rustic furniture, woodworking projects
I was fortunate to pick up this one, but so much of it was missing and it had a lot of damage.For this sewing machine, I planned to use the base. I'll use the other parts for other things.
I cleaned it up and painted it in semi gloss black enamel.
I was lucky to snag this table top up from a friend cleaning out his "stuff". Because the wooden top was large, I tried it on for size.
Not bad! It could sport itself as a "table for two"!
The wood is beautiful. The more I sanded the more the grain came out.
I stained it in my favorite stain of late (I'm crushing this reddish tint). Then applied polyurethane.
The table top and sewing machine base look like they belong. It is a perfect fit!
Robin @ Redo It Yourself Inspirations

• Pj

Hi! Please tell me about the prep that you did on the sewing machine base. I have one like it that would be lovely to put into use as a base for ...? (fill the blank). It is rusty and I don't quite know how to begin.

Thank you for the inspiration. Love your table for two! pj stitches!

• Nancy Bailey

How did you attach the top to the base? Thanks!

• I used the original screws that went to the sewing machine cabinet. Screwed them from the holes provided on the iron base, under the table top. The screws were the right depth for the wood and of course fit the iron. I hope that helps. Thank you!

• Pam Perkins Zirbel

Robin @ Redo It Yourself Inspiration...this is amazing! I had bought the same machine last year from a neighbor. It is in really great shape and am still not sure what I want to do with it!! I have enough tables..but yours is extremely cool!! Well done!!
  • Diana Deiley

Beautiful! What a gorgeous makeover. Hope you keep it for yourself. Thanks for sharing your awesome table.