Stain the garage or keep it painted?

+82
We live in a community where we have a few houses with stained garage doors and they look lovely. What's your thoughts on keeping this painted or staining it?
q stain garage door ideas, curb appeal, garage doors, garages, painting
  • Z Z on Sep 24, 2014
    I think it looks very nice as is, but I do love a stained garage door. If you like it, go for it.
  • Amber Thach Amber Thach on Sep 24, 2014
    I do too. I was thinking about staining it and putting some handles on it and adding those beam like deals right above it. I'm a picture person, I'd have to see it to visualize it.
    • See 5 previous
    • Z Z on Sep 26, 2014
      @Thank you Amber. I never thought about checking into essential oils. One of my nephew's wife is into that. I'm sure she'll know what could help me. Thanks for the idea.
  • Hannah V Hannah V on Sep 24, 2014
    I vote stained! Add a level of interest, and you can always change it back if you don't like it :) If you do it be sure to post it to Hometalk I'd love to see the after!
    Hannah, you know I will! I was just saying that I'm having withdrawals from our old home built in 1919, it had soo much character. I'm trying to think of things I can do to with some character back. Hometalk is full of ideas. Ty for your opinion!
    • I'm trying to think of things I can do to this home to add some character•
  • Cindy D. Cindy D. on Sep 24, 2014
    I think it is very pretty as is, thought I imagine it would be lovely stained, as well. Curious, though - would you have to sand it all down to stain it? You couldn't just stain over the paint, could you?
      Cindy, I don't think you'd have to sand it down, I think if you would do that it's take the texture off since it isn't actually wood-but I know nothing. :)
  • Marion Nesbitt Marion Nesbitt on Sep 24, 2014
    Lovely big home. Looks new. I'd leave the doors as is just now and opt for spending the money on planting a couple of trees, getting some monster black urns for flowers.
    • See 1 previous
      There's more, just not photos. I have the brick you see on the top left to wrap around that side and around that back filled with hydrangeas, sage, wisteria, Christmas trees, and some plants I got from my grandmother in FL.
  • JessieMacD JessieMacD on Sep 25, 2014
    I like them painted. Maybe try some hardware?
    • Amber Thach Amber Thach on Sep 25, 2014
      I knew we were going to use hardware, just looking to give it more character. That's a nice door you posted. Ty!
  • Edna Canas Edna Canas on Sep 25, 2014
    do it, if you don't like it, at least you can change it, but I think it fades away as it is now.
  • Linda Sharp Linda Sharp on Sep 25, 2014
    I like it painted, it blends in so well with the rest of the house. If you change to a stained doors it will make them stand out and the garage doors will dominate the look of the house. Garage doors should not be the focus of your home.
  • Petunia Petunia on Sep 25, 2014
    I think your biggest satisfaction would come in creating a large and beautiful planting bed with colorful tree leading towards your front door. That will make the door the focal point and take attention away from the massiveness of the garage doors. Leaving the garage doors as is will help them blend in, rather than making them a focal point. Good luck!
      We have a maple that you cannot see in here. Right now, all those perennials are quite big.
  • Liliana Wells Liliana Wells on Sep 25, 2014
    I'd say they would be better painted to blend in with the rest of the house. I don't like it when the garage stands out.
  • V Valencia V Valencia on Sep 25, 2014
    I remember hearing on that HGTV program, Curb Appeal, that you should make your front door the focal point of your home because you want to draw eyes there. That is why you see people using an accent color on their doors and creating interest with potted plants, etc. at the entry.
    • See 3 previous
    • V Valencia V Valencia on Sep 25, 2014
      @Amber Thach Yes, I noticed your red front door, but I think if you stain your garage doors, you'll take attention away from your front door. In my opinion, when I look at your house, the trim stands out the most. I would go to a darker color, closer to the rest of the house. I think if you did that your front door would be more eye catching. It will look nice whichever way you go.
  • XEllle XEllle on Sep 25, 2014
    Since the trim on the rest of the house looks so nice, you might think about adding interest to the garage door by incorporating matching trim. And, just a thought about staining: maybe wait until the garage door really needs to be painted? Looks quite nice for now.
  • Lorraine-Lori Johns Lorraine-Lori Johns on Sep 25, 2014
    For the best Feng Shui of your house- leave it painted. The garage doors should not be a focal point of the house. The front door should be your focal point. Leave it painted, as it blends in with everything else.
  • Louis.hargrove Louis.hargrove on Sep 25, 2014
    I would leave it like it is I put hardware on my door and it is beautiful it makes a statement.
  • Linda Linda on Sep 25, 2014
    I think the garage looks quite nice as is, but I guess it is kind of over-powering your front door. The landscaping around the front door is certainly helping. Maybe staining the concrete drive would tone that area down and funnel the eye into your lovely front entrance.
  • Lezlie Lezlie on Sep 25, 2014
    Staining them would give your home a richer look. Can your front door also be stained to match??
    A lot of the houses around us are kind if ginger bread like and then you have ours.
  • Bibi Sweet67 Bibi Sweet67 on Sep 25, 2014
    I like it painted but maybe paint it the same color of your front door to give it a pop of color. Love the color of your front door.
    Beatrice, unfortunately where we live we have to have earth tones. No red garages! :)
  • MaryAnn B MaryAnn B on Sep 25, 2014
    Since you have a lot of garage door on the front of your house I would leave it the color it is since it blends in. Perhaps urns with flowers in front on each side and I also agree with the curving flower bed to the left to mimic the curve of the sidewalk.
  • Brianna Stieby Brianna Stieby on Sep 25, 2014
    I thinking painting it to match the trim would be best. The house is so dark as it is and it could use some brightening up.
  • Gail Gail on Sep 25, 2014
    i like it the way it is just need landscaping around the house.
      Hi Gail, I like it too, but I have to be doing something. Possibly some hardware. I've posted pics in the previous comments in regards to the landscaping. We've done all of it this summer. :)
  • Melinda Columbus Melinda Columbus on Sep 25, 2014
    I would try planters @ garage doors in a contrasting color & landscape from the drive to the front door with easy care plants first. Then if I was still not satisfied with the chg I would revisit either painting the garage the trim or a contrasting color or stain. Maybe brighten the front door area.
      Melinda, brightening the front door is a good idea. We do have planters and the yard is now landscaped. With the red rustic door I kind have been limited t what I should plant, but I started planting different colored perennials and they look great.
  • Centrd Centrd on Sep 25, 2014
    A pergola over the garage door painted to match your trim would be gorgeous. Not that big of a job, either. Plant some flowering vines and it would be so pretty. I know they say the garage shouldn't be the focal point on a house, but I've seen some gorgeous garages that I'd be more than happy to feature, so make the most of what you've got!
  • Centrd Centrd on Sep 25, 2014
    A couple more examples...one with natural wood, the other with a pergola that extends over the entry way as well.
    • See 10 previous
    • Amber Thach Amber Thach on Sep 28, 2014
      Hi Centrd, It was not planned. Everyone bought their own lot and built their own home with some restrictions in place since the land was foreclosed and bank owned. You've been very helpful. Thank you.