I'm wondering if you wax before you stencil or stencil first

+7
I've painted a piece of furniture with annie sloan chalk paint and I've also waxed it and now I want to put a stencil on it. Should I have stenciled it before i waxed it or is it still okay to stencil it after it is waxed.
  • I do it after I wax.
  • Colimbia1 Colimbia1 on Sep 24, 2014
    @kirt Glad you asked this question. Wondered about that. Can I decoupage after waxing?
  • Michele Eures Michele Eures on Sep 25, 2014
    I always stencil first. I would think that if you have waxed first, you would need to let your wax dry and harden for a good 24 hours before stenciling. But maybe someone who has done it that way can give better advice on that.
  • Kathy mcallister Kathy mcallister on Sep 25, 2014
    thanks, I had already gone and waxed so that's why i was wondering, it appears that either way is fine. thanks so much.
  • Christine Sergot Bending Christine Sergot Bending on Jun 12, 2015
    I am going to try stenciling first. I just hope it doesn't smudge when applying wax.
    • Rhonda Cole-Now Rhonda Cole-Now on Oct 18, 2018

that's what I was worrying about, that it would smudge if I waxed after, but if I wax first will the stencil ink adhere to the piece properly

• Sue A Sue A on Aug 28, 2015
    Hi! I have done it either way.Christine, as long as your wax or stencil is totally dry, it will be fine! good luck! Sue (as mentioned must wax over again after stencil!)
  • Brenda Counts Brenda Counts on Jul 26, 2016
    I had the same question. Thanks to all for the answer.
  • Toni Toni on Jan 15, 2019

I have stencilled before waxing, any advice on the safest way to ensure the stencilling doesn’t smudge when I wax ... it will have had at least 24 hours to dry .. thank you

• Michelle Leslie Michelle Leslie on Jul 24, 2021

Hi Kathy, it's best to stencil first.