Autum H
Autum H
  • Autryville, NC

A DIY Sewing Room

When I remodeled my sewing room to make it more efficient, a lot of DIY work went into it and not a lot of money. All the furniture and storage in the room was either reused, repurposed or rearranged.
What had previously been my cutting table, became a wall to wall desk for my computer and sewing machines. It is a hollow core door. In order to use it as a desk, my husband cut it down the center, reinforced it with some wood supports in the hollow area, and secured it to the wall with wood cleats. The front is supported on legs fashioned from plumbing pipe.
You can read about more of the changes we made on my blog. http://creativelittledaisy.typepad.com/creative_little_daisy/2012/02/sewing-room-makeover-take-three-.html
MDF shelves provide lots of easy access storage.
The tissue paper pompoms help soften and add some pretty to  the utilitarian space.
MDF shelves provide lots of easy access storage. The tissue paper pompoms help soften and add some pretty to the utilitarian space.
Another view of the room.
Another view of the room.
Inexpensive ClosetMaid cabinets provide storage and act as a base for the cutting table. I dressed them up with some paint, beadboard, beadboard wall paper and trim.
Another view of the work/cutting table. This is two components stacked together. The drawers hold sewing patterns.
Pegboard organization for my tools.
Pegboard organization for my tools.
This thread rack was and easy DIY project using scrap pegboard and wood dowels.
I took my old desk apart,  turned it upside down and added casters. It now slides under the long desk but is easily pulled out to access the back of the computer's cpu.
I took my old desk apart, turned it upside down and added casters. It now slides under the long desk but is easily pulled out to access the back of the computer's cpu.
I like organization that is also pretty. My ribbon is on display in clear plastic canisters.
a diy sewing room, cleaning tips, craft rooms, organizing, shelving ideas, storage ideas
I made a padded top for this bushel basket by covering an old clock with foam and quilt batting. The center already had a hole so adding the little button to tuft the center was easy. It doubles as a seat and yarn storage.
I drilled holes along the back of the desk for cords.

Autum H

• Alma

Love the thread spool idea! thanks!

• Teri

Great idea for the threads! I did this for my embroidery threads. No more taking up tabletop space or digging through drawers to find the thread color I need. Thank you for sharing!