Ashley Thurman
Ashley Thurman
  • Appleton, WI
Asked on Aug 1, 2012

How to decorate around wallpaper in a rental

CraftyfoxJudiBet1469441
+10

I'm about to move into a rental with SUPER ugly wallpaper that I can't take down.... anyone have any creative ideas how to cover it up without damaging it?
  • KMS Woodworks

You could pick up some 4 x 8 foot sheets of foam core "matboard" and attach it with those double sided foam adhesive squares. From there you could paint or do just about anything. a fabric tapestry is another idea

• Kathy R

Long curtains all down the wall.

• Lois R

yards of fabric and fabric softner. you paint the wall with the softner and the fabric will adhere to it and it will not cause any damage to the wallpaper.

• Jeanette S

Best advice is do not rent this space!

• Jeanette S

PS...if you have already rented it, keep everything else in the room white or some other neutral color! A photo of the paper would be helpful with ideas from the HT followers!

• Ashley Thurman

Thanks ladies! I'm thinking about doing a burlap wall. The main area with the wallpaper is in the dining room, so I think I can cover it with burlap and have it be an accent wall. At least it will greatly improve the area and give me something to decorate around : ) Now I just have to figure out how to hide the border in the living room that is about 1/3 or the way down the wall... not sure what these people were thinking, lol!

• Jeanette S

Keep in mind that if you do not have permission to remove the wallpaper, you certainly do not have permission to paint it or "attach" things to it...??? Glue, tacking, etc. can cause damage!

• Cherished B. If you decide to go that burlap route. I would suggest that you make frames that you can attach the burlap to. Then simply using tiny nails or even Velcro tape attach the panels to the existing walls.

• Ashley Thurman

Thanks Woodbridge! That's what I was thinking : ) I want it to appear to be wallpaper so I definitely want to pull it tight : )

• Bet1469441

The wallpaper is easily removed by spraying it with fleecy fabric softener spray and gently use a tool to lift it off if lucky you could paste it on before you move out you would have to be really lucky though😀

• Bet1469441

I was talking about the border wallpaper not the wall in dining room I think you have found your answer to that that problem. A piece of foam baseboard could cover over the border wallpaper and be removed easily later

• Judi

you might think about stapling fabric over it. Or install curtain rods and drape it.

• Craftyfox

iron fabric over it easy to remove when you move just spray with spray starch and iron it on