Bottle Wall

We needed some privacy on the veranda of our man cave. A bottle wall seemed like a good idea. We spent around $200 and used 125 recycled bottles, a great feature wall has been added.
The finished bottle wall providing shade and privacy.
We needed some privacy and shade on the side of our man cave.
Materials required included a 3/4" inch diamond tipped drill bit and rubber washers... and lots of empty wine bottles.
Remove the metal collar from the neck of the bottle using tin snips. The each wine bottle was placed in a bucket of sand and the bottom was drilled out. Bottles with a dimple in the bottom were easier to drill. The dimple was filled with water before drilling to stop the drill bit from overheating. Best to wear safety glasses when drilling the bottles.
Immediately after drilling the holes the bottles need to be rinsed in water to make sure the glass powder residue does not stick inside the bottle.
The most time consuming part of the job was removing the labels. We found soaking the bottles in hot soapy water with a dash of eucalyptus oil for about 15 minutes and then using a paint scraper was the most effective way to get the labels off.
We used some light weight metal tubing for the bottom and top bars to hold the bottles in. These bars were attached to the side and front pole of the veranda with metal plates. We used shower curtain fittings which were drilled to the top and bottom rail.
Powder coated curtain rods were cut to size (alternatively reo bar can be use). The top fitting was then unscrewed. The rod was placed in the bottom fitting. Bottles were threaded onto the rod and a rubber washer was placed between each bottle. when the rod was full the top fitting was placed over the top of the rod and re-screwed onto the bar. An alternative pattern was used and a variety of bottle colours. This is up to individual taste and availability of bottles.
A side view of the wall.
A close up of the wall.

Joanne Miller

• Jen

How did you remove the glass circle after the hole was drilled? Mine are stuck inside the bottle

• Mj

Joanne said they used a 3/4" diamond tipped drill bit. Drilling should leave glass bits which is why you need to wash it. If you have a disc, the wrong kind of drill bit is being used. Ask your hardware store to assist you.

• Sandra Harvey

I didn’t really understand their directions. How big a hole were they drilling in the bottom ? What size diamond bit did they use and how many ? Did they use a drill press or a regular hand drill and if so what hp was needed to cut through the glass ? I’ve tried cutting holes in wine bottles and it ain’t easy . That’s why so many questions. Thank you & I love the idea !

• Arekaybee

I've started this project. The hole/bit size depends on the size of the rod you are going to use for the bottles. I am using a regular hand cordless drill/driver. One thing about the drilling: if there is no dimple in the bottom of the bottle, start your drill at an angle, then stand it up straight. That keeps it from skipping along the glass. Hope this helps.

• Kathy

where did you get the rubber washers? did you buy them in multi-packs? what size? fit the rod or go around the bottle or did the neck of the bottle fit inside the hole?

• Virginia

I love this idea, unfortunately when I investigated the actual application I found out my city would require a permit and they wouldn't give it to me because they said all that glass is to dangerous.

• Candice Gollam

I think this idea is so cool. My son has a room in his house that he calls a “whiskey” room. I sent it to him. I thought it could be pretty cool inside the house with whiskey bottles and a little lighting behind them. Of course he could probably get wine bottles easier and faster but way cool. Thanks for the share. Hopefully people can get all of their questions answered. It looks like folks that are attempting this are trying to help each other. Thanks to everyone giving helpful hints.

• Nikki

Many bars will give you the empty bottles if you just ask. I'm not a big drinker and that's how I get mine... lol