Bottle Wall

We needed some privacy on the veranda of our man cave. A bottle wall seemed like a good idea. We spent around $200 and used 125 recycled bottles, a great feature wall has been added.
bottle wall build upcycle, how to, patio, repurposing upcycling, wall decor
The finished bottle wall providing shade and privacy.
We needed some privacy and shade on the side of our man cave.
Materials required included a 3/4" inch diamond tipped drill bit and rubber washers... and lots of empty wine bottles.
Remove the metal collar from the neck of the bottle using tin snips. The each wine bottle was placed in a bucket of sand and the bottom was drilled out. Bottles with a dimple in the bottom were easier to drill. The dimple was filled with water before drilling to stop the drill bit from overheating. Best to wear safety glasses when drilling the bottles.
Immediately after drilling the holes the bottles need to be rinsed in water to make sure the glass powder residue does not stick inside the bottle.
The most time consuming part of the job was removing the labels. We found soaking the bottles in hot soapy water with a dash of eucalyptus oil for about 15 minutes and then using a paint scraper was the most effective way to get the labels off.
We used some light weight metal tubing for the bottom and top bars to hold the bottles in. These bars were attached to the side and front pole of the veranda with metal plates. We used shower curtain fittings which were drilled to the top and bottom rail.
Powder coated curtain rods were cut to size (alternatively reo bar can be use). The top fitting was then unscrewed. The rod was placed in the bottom fitting. Bottles were threaded onto the rod and a rubber washer was placed between each bottle. when the rod was full the top fitting was placed over the top of the rod and re-screwed onto the bar. An alternative pattern was used and a variety of bottle colours. This is up to individual taste and availability of bottles.
A side view of the wall.
A close up of the wall.
Joanne Miller

• Chantel Tupper

How do they bottles handle the wind?

• Catherine Cella

Metal rods were used top, bottom, one metal rod per column. Unless there is severe hail or flying rocks, wind shouldn't be a problem.

• Terry Thurston

Looks beautiful, but, with the wine bottles with the dimples, how do you keep water from standing, encouraging mosquito breeding? The experts say you need less than a beer bottle cap to have a mosquito breeding ground. Thanks! (I really want to try this!)

• Joyce

There are "doughnuts" that can be purchased to add to water to prevent mosquito breeding. One can break the doughnut into pieces, or cut if you need a small piece as for a bottle. These pieces could be put into the bottles with the dimples in the event of water standing in the bottom. The doughnuts can be used even in bird baths as they are not harmful to wildlife.

FYI: I am a reader, not the person creating this awesome wall.

j. baker

• Jen

How did you remove the glass circle after the hole was drilled? Mine are stuck inside the bottle

• Msh29878614

This is gorgeous! I already have many rebar bottles grouped around a big flower bed in our yard. I can imagine how great this will look as a "rain chain" hanging from a corner off one of the decks. We're out in the country, no close neighbors. Water in the bottle bottoms isn't a problem as the birds and butterflies drink any excess water.

Thanks for the idea! :-)Marilyn Shonkwiler

• Joni

I've been wanting to do this for over 2 years. This spring I found beautiful bottles at the Dollar Tree in four different colors and four different styles. This inspired me to get started. I spent an hour in Lowe's trying to figure out a plan because my wall will be free standing. I also wanted to spend as little money as possible, especially since I was paying for the bottles. I ended up finding five foot copper pipe and figured that even when it oxidizes it will still look nice. I snatched up the bottles because I knew they would go quickly. I bought 66 of them, a couple more than I needed in case of breakage. I wasn't sure how hard it would be to drill holes in them, especially since they are not real wine bottles. I was afraid they might be thinner and more fragile. Today, two months later, I am so excited because we decided to bite the bullet and drill one bottle to see how hard it would be. I figured once we got beyond that step and set everything up, that I could take some time over the next month or two and drill a couple bottles a day when I have time. Well it turns out that it wasn't hard at all. We got 4 bottles drilled in a very short amount of time. I found advice elsewhere that said to use silly putty to make a dam around the drilling spot to hold water in while drilling. Now I am excited because once we figure out exactly how to make the wall frame stable and how to make it so I can remove the bottles every fall for cleaning and storage, I will have a bottle wall. The drilling part should be quick and easy, and I had no labels to remove which was awesome. I think Dollar Tree sells these bottles once a year in the spring and they sell out quickly, so if you want to make a similar wall with lots of pretty colors it, mark your calendar for next march and start watching or calling Dollar Tree. I included a picture of our start! I will post an update later this summer when it's done. The wrought iron fence is not part of the wall by the way, the wall will actually be on the other side of it once we build it. Thank you so much for your great instructions! They were very very helpful.

• Joni

I'm sorry this posted under questions instead of comments as I had intended. I had trouble getting it to post and ended up putting it in the wrong place!