Lynette U
Lynette U
  • Hawkins, TX
Asked on Aug 2, 2012

Help need shade! In Texas

Walter ReevesDouglas HuntLynette U
+2

Help I live in Texas and have lost a few important shade trees in my back yard. This spring I planted lots of flowers and the sun is so hot, watering them everyday dosent even help! What I want to know is ,if anyone has idea for shade I can use. I bought forsythias to make a shade wall ....Had to move them, to much hot sun.So please any ideas........HELP! Please Thank you!
  • Jeanette S

Your ultimate solution is to put in a couple of trees this fall. With a hot climate, when you plant the trees, put in some corrigated or PVC pipe with holes in it to different depths...you will want about half a dozen at least. You can bury them to just above the surface. This will allow you to easily water your new trees. I wish I had known this before we planted trees 30 years ago. As for immediate shade, look into a sail. Even drop cloths with gromets in them can be installed. You might just have to give up on flowers this year! Put out a couple of pots for color (even the pots can be painted to add color) and don't work yourself so much! I went mainly to pots this year because last year my flowers just died from the heat!

help need shade in texas, flowers, gardening, Painted pots and caladium which are bulbs and do not require as much water

If you have some trees left, perhaps you could tie a shade sail between them to create more shade underneath. When considering what to plant next, Texas A&M has a wide-ranging list of recommendations for your area: http://easttexasgardening.tamu.edu/homegardens/easttex1.html#DwarfShrubs

• Lynette U

Thank you both, I am thinking about the sails for the moment. and some trees for October.Its just so crazy hot.

Now's a good time to think about trees; October is a good time to plant them.

• Walter Reeves

Check local nurseries for recommended trees in your area of TX. Some trees are VERY susceptible to pH problems in the soil.