Nest for All Seasons
Nest for All Seasons
  • Hershey, PA
Asked on Aug 2, 2012

Does anybody know what this berry is and whether or not you can EAT it?

IreneDouglas HuntNest for All Seasons
+1

We have a ton of these bushes in our yard and so far, I've told the boys NO when it comes to eating them, but I have no idea if they are edible or not? Any ideas? The birds like them!
unidentified berries
unidentified berries
unidentified berries
unidentified berries
unidentified berries
unidentified berries

Where are they growing? I'm guessing they're on some kind of flowering shrub like a chokeberry.

• Nest for All Seasons

Hi Douglas -- that is what someone else mentioned. There is a large cluster of them growing in my garden - -planted by the previous owner. They were definitely intentional in the planting, but I didn't know if it was just ornamental. I'm ok with guessing on names of ornamentals -- not so much with berries :)

I'm guessing from the arrangement of the berries that it is chokeberry. If so, despite the name, they are edible.

• Irene

Yes, they are black chokeberries. We would pick them & make chokeberry jelly. They have a pretty sour taste. I would wash them, cook them with sugar & pectin & strain them through a cheesecloth & make chokeberry jelly. Some people make tea or wine with them. They are healthy for you, some believe that they lower blood pressure.