How to Get Rid of Fruit Flies With Household Items

I don't know about you, but this time of year the fruit flies are out in full force at our house. To me they are one of the most annoying bugs, and they seem to multiply like bunnies! Apparently female fruit flies can lay up to 500 eggs at a time and their life spans are 40-50 days, during which time they can lay several 500-egg batches. No wonder they are so hard to get rid of!
But there is hope to control them!!
Try to prevent them from coming in the first place and/or eff up their homes once they arrive using these simple tips for getting rid of fruit flies:
1. Keep your sink clean. Fruit flies like to procreate in drains, so make sure to keep all food out of your sink and drains.
2. Rinse out your recyclables before throwing them away and take our your trash often. It also helps to have a trashcan with a lid and keep it closed at all times.
3. Periodically pour boiling water down the drain. You can easily kill budding fruit flies by clearing out the drains with boiling water.
4. Set homemade traps. We have tried all different kinds of traps, but we have found the wine and saran wrap option to be the most successful. Just pour a little bit of wine into a glass, cover tightly with saran wrap, then use a toothpick to poke a few holes in it. Apparently the flies can get in through the holes, but then can't figure out how to get out. I put one near our sink and one near our trashcan and they really work!!

30 Stunning Ways To Display Your Plants
31 Clever Ideas To Reuse Muffin Pans And Cupcake Liners
27 Wonderful Ways You Can Use Scrapbooking Paper
3 Absolutely Adorable Ways To Display Your Plants
30 Different Ways to DIY an Adorable Snowman This Winter
18 Stunning Backsplash Ideas You Do Not Want To Miss!
25 Beautiful Things You Can Make With Rope & Twine
These Clever Ideas Will Help You With Spring Cleaning
12 Container Garden Ideas to Kick Off Spring
Everything Red For Canada Day
Instantly Upgrade Your Living Space With These Amazing DIY Ideas
Colette

• Bee2683708

how to get rid of fruit flies

• Jen11578479

we just use apple cider vinegar in a container, a drop or two of dish soap and some water. They're drawn to the vinegar and the soap does something to the surface of the water so they can't escape. Apparently regular vinegar works just as well but we've always just bought the cheap apple cider vinegar. Hope this helps!

• Bev13687461

Great idea Jenim1874....I like to use red wine vinegar straight with few drops of dish soap, works very well too. Then strech a piece saran wrap over it poke a couple dozen holes using a toothpick. The holes will close so just repoke.

• Donna Edwards Webb

So adding soap does the trick with vinegar. But with wine they are just too drunk to find their way out. Much kinder if you ask me.

• San7875961

The vinegar and soap didn't work for me. I'll try plastic wrap and wine

• Barbars

i have always used a little soap in a dish of water, I placed it under a night light. Worked very well.
  • Karen

how long will one of these cups last? should I be changing daily?
    • Susan

you should change it when it gets full of bugs! and this should probably have gone in the "question" section

• Julia

Do you put the plastic wrap over the container when using acv & soap as well?
    • Etd1960

Yes. I use acv and cover and poke. Fruit flies go in but they don't come out!
  • Joanne

Could you use any fruit juice instead of wine?
    • Bobbi

I have used orange juice and apple juice. They both work great.
    • Kathy Beachy

Also apple cider vinegar works very well.
    • Pam

Nothing gets rid of the last few except 1 thing. They will not die in any liquid unless I'm drinking it even water and coffee.
    • Dianna Locke

i use vinegar, sugar, drop of dawn dish soap, cover plastic wrap poke holes. also fly paper ribbon walla keeps them down. also turn off all lights, leave one on where fly paper is. will catch more flies

• Carol

Now...... I wonder how we can get rid of those flour bugs that fly around and lay eggs in our rice, quinua, flour, and dried beans!
    • Diane

Keep these items in your freezer. The eggs are microscopic and already in the products, but if kept in the freezer, they never develop.
    • Bernie Zaboski

Get flying insect traps from Home Depot, they really work
    • Susie

Bay leaves tucked into the container will keep the weevils away
    • Catherine Pietsch

absolutely YES to the Bay Leaf trick!!! Our family has been doing that for decades. It has never failed us.
    • J.p8665325

You can also line your shelves with the Bay leaves keeps them from migrating to other products.
    • Dale Toth

I have used bay leaves in my flour as long as I can remember and only had a problem once. It was bird seed that brought the moths in. They were a pain to get rid of but never bothered my flour.
    • Mcn17474363

apparently bay lleaves hung in pantry etc does really work. bugs hate the bay leaves. mmmmnn maybe should try on my pesky fruit flies too

• Doris Trice

airtight containers

• Cindi

Would cranberry apple juice work? Or does it have to be wine?

• Cindi

Sorry, someone already asked this question LOL

• Brandon Sargent

You could try it. Cider vinegar works well. It's more the pungent smell than any type of specific color if that's where your mind was headed with the cranberry juice instead of wine.

• Melony Lewis

I mix couple drops of blue dawn and apple cider vinegar together in a small dish. I use a shot glass and set behind my sink for fruit flies. You definitely have to change it often because they don't make it far once having a drink

• Linda Dunigan

Thanks for everyone’s ideas.