Dee W
Dee W
  • Senecaville, OH
Asked on Aug 3, 2012

Rain chimes/rain chains

Dee WCarlaMiriam I
+3

Does anyone have or use one of these? My gutters flow pretty fast and I was wondering how well they work and what about strong winds-do they stay anchored? Would they be effective at all if hung in a tree?
  • Miriam I

A woman named Carla asked a similar question a while back - some good info here: http://www.hometalk.com/search?filter=rain+chain&search=&zipcode=#!/28550

• Dee W

Thanks Miriam, I didn't even think to plug it into the "search."

• Miriam I

Pleasure,does the info there answer your question?

• Dee W

Enough; thank-you again.

• Carla

I am the one that asked about the rain chains. I did purchase one and love it. It does a good job even in the downpours we have here in Florida. What I did find is that you want to purchase one that has an opening in the bottom of the cup other wise it fills up, runs over and does not empty fully and here in Florida that is a haven for mosquitoes.

• Dee W

@Carla, how kind of you to write. I am glad you are enjoying your rain chime and appreciate your feedback. I originally wanted to hang one over my rainbarrel in the front of my home and do away with the downspout but even tho' it is a small porch roof, the pitch is steep and 2 gutters join at the corner; not confident it could handle the deluge--which is why I was considering hanging it from a tree branch over a birdbath. I would really value your opinion on whether this is harebrained or doable. :>)