Tanya P
Tanya P
  • Canada
Asked on Aug 3, 2012

Why are ants depositing dirt around the top of my Ranunculus?

Debbie / Dragonfly TreasureDouglas HuntTanya P
+3

This is my first year to plant Ranunculus bulbs. I have them in half barrels on our deck. It seems ants are depositing dirt all around the top of the stems. I have used an insecticidal soap on it to no avail...any suggestions?
why are ants depositing dirt around the top of my ranunculus, gardening, pest control

Tanya, I don't see how the dirt would stay like that without something sticky on the stems, which suggests to me you had an aphid issue, whose honeydew attracted ants. Have you actually seen ants on the plants, or possible signs of aphids?

• Tanya P

I've seen ants all over the "dirt areas". But upon looking closer, can aphids be black? I always think green when I think of aphids. I see little black spots, so that is probably the case. Doesn't insecticidal soap work for aphids? I really appreciate your reply, Doug. Thanks!!

The black spots could be sooty mold on the honeydew. Yes, insecticidal soap should work.

• Tanya P

Ok. Thanks so much! I appreciate your help.

You're most welcome, Tanya.

• Debbie / Dragonfly Treasure

packaged cornbread mix that says it is sweetened and put it where they are coming in if you can find it, or even on your counter in a small lid. They will take it to the mound, everyone will eat it and die, they can't digest the cornmeal, but will take it because it is sweetened. Little goes a long way.