Robin M
Robin M
  • Virginia Beach, VA
Asked on Aug 4, 2012

how do you distress furniture, but not leave scratch marks from the sandpaper?

Diana DeileyTerra GazelleMary Vitullo - Orphans With Makeup
+6

When I go to add minwax to age it, you can see where it has scratched from the sandpaper. What is the secret so that it looks natural?
  • Z

What grit sandpaper are you using last? You need a fine grit paper of 200 or 220 for finish sanding. You might find the information on this page helpful..... http://woodzone.com/Merchant2/articles/sandpaper/index.htm

• Shari

I'm certainly no professional but from my limited experience, I do know any "aging" technique, whether it's done with glaze or dark wax, will get down into all the nooks and crannies, highlighting the good features, as well as any imperfections of the piece...as you have discovered. If you don't want the sandpaper marks, try waxing first and then followup with the distressing as your last step.

• If your looking for a rubbed look along with wear on edges. Instead of sand paper, use rubbing compound that you would find in an auto store. Armed with this and either some real good elbow grease or a small rubbing pad on the end of a drill, you can simply rub the finish off were ever you like without removing any of the wood itself.

• Z

What a great idea WE! I never would have thought to use rubbing compound. Thanks!

• Robin M

Thanks everyone.

• Marley Butts

When I am distressing I use vaseline.Rub it on the edges as well as any other parts you want distressed.Next wipe it off,but there will be a greasy stain left behind.Paint will not cover greasy areas.Google distressing with vaseline there is lots of lit on it.Hope this was helpful.

• You might try sanding with a more finer grit sandpaper.

• Terra Gazelle

But aren't scratches a natural occurrence of use and wear?

• Diana Deiley

Always sand in the direction of the grain, never against it. Also use a fine grit paper for light sanding (200 and higher).