Jeanine Cruse
Jeanine Cruse
  • Louisville, KY
Asked on Sep 29, 2014

Painting leather chair

Kathy BitzanTerri Lee Bossom AndersonJewel Simpson
+8

I have a really expensive leather Cabot Wrenn executive chair that is the wrong color for the room it will be placed in. I do NOT want to ruin it and have heard painted leather chips after a 6mths. Has anyone painted real leather before with success? HELP
This is my chair. It is in perfect condition.
I want to paint my chair to look like this chair, but I do not want to ruin it.
  • Nancy Gramm

Good question! I'll be watching for answers myself. I have a chair similar to yours, though mine's not real leather. It has an area in the back that's worn through and I tried painting it with the vinyl repair treatment. I really messed it up! Painting, if possible, might save it. Good luck to you.

• Suzanne Lawson

@Jeanine Cruse I'm not a pro refinisher either,but I have worked in design for 30 years and with DIY-ers ( I'm a DIY-er myself) and I know what products are out there. I've dyed lots of leather shoes, purses etc. and it's much easier than you think. I suggested dye because I believe that you will get far better results using a product intended for use on leather.. You are concerned with ruining the chair and I firmly believe that if you try to paint tightly tufted leather upholstery with commonly available paint products, you will bitterly regret it. The only paint product I can suggest to you with any confidence is SEM Classic Coat http://www.semproducts.com/automotive-flexible-coatings/classic-coattm Good luck with your project. .:-)

• Jeanine Cruse

Thank you Suzanne...I will look into the dying it, because I just dont see how the paint will work.

• Jeanine Cruse

I spoke with a pro about the dyeing process and she said that to strip the leather around the tufts would almost be impossible...I may just have to settle for a wine colored chair.

• Lisadoll

Maybe you could buy a cheap leather something ( ottoman?) at a thrift store and use it as a sample board to try a few different techniques..... Or maybe a couple leather somethings ?

• Jewel Simpson

I read that somebody said to strip with acetone, for the tufting I would try it on cotton swabs. It will be time consuming but if it works ...so worth it! I would try it on something to test first look for something small that you can tuft like a leather bag? (fold some areas that would be like tufts)?
  • Terri Lee Bossom Anderson

I used liquid shoe polish, kiei, my chair eaz very faed and looked more punk, i eanted a softer look abd got 2 KIWI CORDIVAN...its z brownish burgundy..did it yrars ago, stillooks great!
  • Kathy Bitzan

I'd keep it the color it is and maybe put a beautiful pillow to detract from the color. But I love the color and would keep it no matter what. If I had to change the color I would follow the directions from above about dyeing leather. I've found that painting objects does not always work. I love my daughters kitchen which we added molding to the door and drawers. Painted and waxed for that nice Italian feel and now 5 years later she is wishing she didn't do it. The paint is chipping around her sink area where I think the possible culprit is her husbands belt buckle rubbing up against it since he has started doing dishes. So paint is a quit solution but not for the long run in my opinion.