Rhonda B
Rhonda B
  • Muscatine, IA

Bring Your Houseplants Inside but Leave the Bugs Outside

It is that time of year again-time to bring in all the houseplants If you are like me you have had your houseplants outside adorning your deck and front door area giving them a little vacation from being cooped up inside. Unfortunately it is starting to get cooler and that means I have to start bringing them in before the nighttime temperatures get below 45-50 degrees. Before I bring them in there are
cleaning tips garden plants inside bug free, cleaning tips, container gardening, gardening
Step 2: After 15-30 minutes remove the plant.
Step 3: Spray the plant off with a good stream of water to remove the soap.
Step 4: Take a sponge or rag and wipe down the pot and then rinse off.
Step 5: Remove any dead /dying foliage or flowers. Inspect for bugs under leaves and along the stem. Repeat the bath if the bugs are not all gone or use a sponge and wipe them off gently then spray again with the hose.
Step 6: Let drain completely. Now they are ready to be taken back inside.
Step 7: Reintroduce them slowly to the indoors especially if they were in full sun. I do this by moving them indoors at night and putting them out in the morning-reducing the amount of time outside daily by an hour or two. It usually takes about a week. This helps to reduce shock.
Step 8: Enjoy you plants! For the first month your plants may drop some leaves-this is common and caused by the shock of moving back inside but it should recover given time. Just make sure to cut back on fertilizer, give it enough light and water when needed (don't over water) and your plants should make it through the colder months to enjoy another summer outside.
This works great for most houseplants except large ones. My next post I will show you how I prepare my large houseplants for moving inside.
Rhonda B

• Judy rogers

Tried this and had a mess with soil coming to the top of the water. What did I do wrong.?

• Sheila

Would it be advisable to put some of that mesh material on top of the soil of the pot when u put houseplants out for the summer to avoid insects coming to reside in the soil of the pot?

• Joyce Stone

Will it work for Christmas cactus

• Bea33975938

I have a bougainvillea in a planter, thinking of getting it out completely and wash it, then put it in a pot with new clean soil, would that work? Will try your method with a small fig tree I have. I hope it works as I have a phobia with spiders and bugs and I don't want to bring any inside. Thank you for any suggestions,