Recycled Garage Door

34K Views
My husband and I replaced our old solid wood garage door and I knew the sections were at risk of heading off to the dump in my husband's truck if i didn't come up for a use for them! I wanted more outdoor seating so I decided to create a large outdoor bench using two of the better sections. I used the one section for the top and then divided the other section in thirds and used them as the "legs". I then scraped the loose paint and used a heat gun to remove some more. I wanted some of the paint to stay since it really made it look weathered. I gave it a good sanding and then added some wax to help it hold up just for this summer. I am trying to find some marine polyurethane so I can really seal it well. I added some pillows which just makes it really comfortable and we use it all the time!
Update: I sealed this with Helmsman Outdoor Polyurethane and it has held up well.

Suggested materials for this project:

Reposhture Studio - Kim

Want more details about this project and other DIY projects? Check out my blog post!

Ask a Question