Concrete Fire-pit With Vertical Carved Stonework

While we were in the process of designing our new home my husband made the mistake of bringing me along on a trip to Vegas for "World of Concrete"..... WOW! I hate Vegas.... not a fan.... but was amazed at all the ways concrete was being used.... and so began my love affair with concrete. Our fire-pit is one of many concrete projects around the house and I'm always looking for creative ways to add a little more.....
If you can dream it up, let the creative juices flow.... supply some muscle and a little framing know-how you can come up with amazing, one-of-a-kind concrete creations for your home.
The base and top were poured at the same time..... The base was framed using melamine board (and lots of reinforcement to prevent bulges/blowouts.... those are no fun). We stamped the top to match the patio below (and above) and added a decorative edge.
The top is stained and sealed and I have done a scratch-coat in preparation for the final carve coat..... this is the really fun part. This is a specialty mix that can be carved at a depth ranging from roughly 1/2" -2" or so..... I mix it, throw it by handfuls onto the prepped surface and then stamp it for texture and start carving.
This is what it looked like before I added color....
Before Color.....
With the color....

The Chirping Frog

• Joanie

This pit stand out to me.......those stones do it!! Just such a nice job and that Lake adds to it!! It is a very inviting welcome spot.....

• Sonya VonLuehrte

I am truly amazed at how talented you are. If you can dream it, you can make it! I wish I had that gift. I want to build a fire-pit in my backyard. Now I have an ideal to follow. I would like the seating to be made from concrete. Half circles around the fire-pit and the base to match the sides of the fire-pit.

Thank you for sharing your amazing creations made out of concrete. Now I just need to get busy making my dreams a reality!

Sonya from

Cincy, OH