Nancy Rhodes C
Nancy Rhodes C
  • Bessemer, AL
Asked on Aug 5, 2012

Trees

Nancy Rhodes CWalter ReevesDouglas Hunt
+7

My pear trees bear black leaves and branches, both of them as a result of heavy pruning I am told This year I had so many peaches that one limb broke. My fault as I forgot to thin them our when they first appeared. Now I have cut off so many limbs that I am wondering if I have 4 fruit trees that will grow black leaves and branches. Tell me what to do. I will post their pics.
  • Nancy Rhodes C

My pear trees bear black leaves and branches, both of them - as a result of heavy pruning I am told. This year I had so many peaches that one limb broke. My fault as I forgot to thin them out when they first appeared. Now I have cut off so many limbs that I am wondering if I have 4 fruit trees that will grow black leaves and branches. Tell me what to do. I will post their pics.

, This is one of the pear trees A Dogwood tree is behind it so half of the pear is black, And here are the two peach trees The limbs were all over the ground I would like the trees to be smaller but am worried about the big limb I cut off in the foreground Also did I cut in the right place Should they all be topped

Nancy, I cannot imagine that the problem on your trees is because of pruning. But post the photos and we'll take a look.

• Nancy Rhodes C

Can you see the pics Douglas? Cutting off the equally large limb, which is now a stub looking straight at us on the first tree, has made the tree straight but with only two branches that are too high. The pear tree reaches the sky. Do I need a professional and if so where do I find one?

• Nancy Rhodes C

And what do they charge?

I can't see the black on the trees, Nancy. The branch on the pear should have been cut closer to the tree. If you have a number of fruit trees with issues and seriously want to get edible fruit from them, I think it would be worth the expense to have a professional come out and look at them. You can find an International Society of Arboriculture-certified arborist by Zip Code at this link: http://www.isa-arbor.com/faca/findArborist.aspx

• Nancy Rhodes C

Thank you Douglas. I took a class in horticulture but that was not the class I needed. I wanted a class to teach me about fertilization, diseases and cures, and different classifications of plants. I will cut that limb closer meanwhile but not flush I am told. I will try that link now.

• Walter Reeves

The pattern on the pear looks like fire blight....best controlled by pruning out the affected branches. Here are some notes on peach care http://www.aces.edu/dept/extcomm/specialty/treemaintenance.html

• Nancy Rhodes C

Thank you guys. If they look healthy again I will post.

• Nancy Rhodes C

I hired an Arborist Douglas Hunt and he said to take the pear trees down. I learned a lot from him about pruning and such. Thank you.

• Nancy Rhodes C

Thank you Walter Reeves. I have learned what you were telling me.