The Chirping Frog
The Chirping Frog
  • Glen Carbon, IL

Mosaic Retaining Wall

This retaining wall was put in when the basement was poured seven years ago.... I've been looking at that ugly concrete wall for too long. I have a plan..... finally I am following thru...
concrete tile mosaic retaining wall, concrete masonry, diy, landscape, outdoor living
This is my "lovely" retaining wall that is begging for a decorative touch.
Last fall I used a concrete vertical carving mix and got one tree up....
This spring I added more trees.....
Then.... last week I got started on the "picture"..... I used 12" square slate tile for my water. I wanted the tile to lay horizontally and wanted to run them in a brick pattern.... so... each 12" tile got cut into four pieces.....
Next step.... leaves. I found glass tiles that I thought would work great. Just like when mixing patterns I am trying to keep size and scale in mind so now..... what to do with the sky and ground. Hmmmm! I have a couple ideas and am hoping to get something going this week. Winter is quickly approaching and I need to get it completely and sealed.... What do you think so far?

The Chirping Frog

• Khi4813688

how to make vertical tree on the wall

• Samra Iara

This is so awesome. I just spend a day trying to do small mosaics on a wall just to watch the pieces sag and fall to the floor. The wall is a skim coated block wall. What kind of mortar did you use? Please, share, I don't want what to do. I was using glass marbles and broken ceramic pieces. Thank you for your help.

• Shawna Bailey

I've found that I have to get the bottom row to stay, by possibly doing it ahead of time and then working up from the bottom row. Once I propped things under a bottom row while it dried.

• Margot Denise Mantle

That is the key, work from the bottom up. If you're in the middle somewhere and don't plan to tile all the way to the ground, like I didn't, you can use a board for support and tap-con it into the wall or just do the very bottom layer and let it dry before you move on.