Fae Aeval
Fae Aeval
  • La Porte, TX
Asked on Aug 5, 2012

Tree identification

Ruth MSharron WKMS Woodworks
+11

Does anyone know what kind of tree has this foliage?
The "fruit" is small at this point, I would say no larger than 1/2 inch.
  • Patience T

if the leaves are prickly it's a lemon tree

• Sharron W

The fruit looks like apples rather than citrus though...so I just don't know...maybe a crabapple?

• Walter Reeves

where does the tree grow?

• KMS Woodworks

if you cut the fruit in half is it more apple like ...or citrus like?

• Fae Aeval

The "fruit" has a pit inside of it. It's not a smooth pit, more irregular shaped. The leaves aren't prickly. I have a crabapple on the property too. It's fruit is arranged differently than this tree's fruit. Walter, the tree is growing in the Sam Houston National Forest just north of Houston, TX. Sorry I was so slow to respond, but I can't get this site to work on my phone, and I haven't had time at home to get online. Thank you for taking the time to respond to me. :-)

• Sharron W

Well if you cut across it's not a star shape? so that would rule out apples....anyone know about quince?

• Carol C

It's a Meyer Lemon tree

• Sharron W

Wow! Lucky You to have a Lemon Tree!!!!

• Fae Aeval

Does lemon smell like lemon when it is underdeveloped? This has NO noticeable scent. The pit is just one irregular shaped pit inside each "fruit" not many seeds. The property I bought had a gardner living there for many years, but has been vacant for eight years. The tree is about 20 feet tall, and not in an area that is overly sunny.

• KMS Woodworks

If it has a pit then in may be an ash... http://www.emeraldashborer.info/files/e2892ash.pdf the leaves look compound to me and the fruit seems about right.

• Sharron W

@KMS, you don't think that fruit looks kind of like black walnut?

• KMS Woodworks

it does a bit but walnuts have more leaflets in their compound leaf

, black walnut leaf, Ash leaf
  • Sharron W

Yeah I see what you mean...it never occured to me it could be a nut, even though I grew up in Calif. with English Walnut trees everywhere...

• Ruth M

Not a walnut. Maybe a plum or peach?