Modernizing an 80's Oak Kitchen on a Tiny Budget

Previously, this kitchen (originally installed in 1988) was too monochromatic. The color of the cabinets and the floors was too similar and the small island was lost in sea of golden oak. The awful drop ceiling fluorescent light was extremely dated and the lack of cabinet hardware only emphasized the arched paneled doors which didn't feel very modern..
I stained the center island dark brown, and painted the cabinets a warm cream color (Manchester Tan by Benjamin Moore) I added hardware to the cabinets and removed the old fluorescent lights which I replaced with 2 pendants and some LED cans. I tiled the backsplash with pencil tile to accentuate the generic granite countertops. I also updated the kitchen faucet and removed a few cabinet doors to break up the monotony of the cabinet doors.
The entire transformation (including the new Bosch appliance suite) came in under $3500. I did all the work myself, including the electrical, plumbing and tiling. The transformation took a little less than 3 weeks.
For more information about this project (including more photos and detailed tutorials) please visit: http://www.thekimsixfix.com/2012/08/kitchen-reveal-80s-to-awesome.html#

See the full makeover on my blog.. The photos are no longer available here!
http://www.thekimsixfix.com/2012/08/kitchen-reveal-80s-to-awesome.html#

TheKimSixFix

• Sam3656115

What did you do to prep the cabinets for paint? I have 11 year old golden oak cabinets and want to paint, but not really wanting to strip the clear coat from all of them. I'm considering using liquid sandpaper. Also, did you brush, roll or spray, and did you do the inside of the cabinets as well. Thx, Sam

• 2045673

If you use Annie Sloan chalk paint all you have to do is rough the surface with a sanding block. Follow the directions on the can and you will be surprised how easy it is. This paint will adhere and last.

• Tammi Bailey

Did you buy granite countertops? Did you do it cheaply? Do you have any advice on how to find cheaper high end looking countertops?

• Elaine

That's a beautiful island & would provide a refreshing contrast to granite countertops! Wish I had room for an island in my "galley style" kitchen. Iwould definitely use the wood idea.

• Megan

Prior to painting of the cabinets, did you sand anything down or did you just prime and paint the cabinets? I am looking to do the same to mine and have read multiple ways to go about doing this. Thanks in advance!!

• Dre

Love the kitchen renovation! It is inspiring and I'm keeping this in mind for when I get to my kitchen!

• Elaine

Your kitchen is absolutely gorgeous; you did a super job and I like the door-less cupboard. Fantastic job on the ceiling too .... I'll never understand the once popular "box lighting" (or those horrible dropped ceilings! Re your arched cabinet doors, I don't find them offensive in any way & don't really notice them. Well done!