Judy S
Judy S
  • Oshkosh, WI
Asked on Aug 5, 2012

Bees?

Terry ThomasSusan SJeanette S
+14

For the second week in a row, when I have opened our deck umbrella, this has fallen out. The fuzz appears to be a cocoon with/larva. What could it be?
bees, pest control
  • Apparently something is wanting to nest in there when its closed up. What in your yard looks like that stuff? It appears to be wood shavings of some sort. Nothing a bee would do. What kind of umbrella do you have. Perhaps something is chewing on it? looks more like mice chewing on wood.

• Marg C

I agree, looks like mice chewing on wood and storing to nest.

• Judy S

The table, chairs and umbrella pole are not made of wood and is in fact on the second floor of the deck. I'm still seeing larva in the fuzz.

• Marg C

what does the larvae look like?

• Susan S

Now that IS weird - kinda looks like some nesting material of some sort. Strange for sure. I'll be checking back to see if you figure this out!!

• I am sure the larva and fuzzy stuff is some sort of moth or butterfly. What is puzzling is that would have nothing to do with the wood chip looking stuff. Not knowing the environment makes this difficult to determine exactly what is causing this.

• Susan S

IT'S ALIENS!!!!!

• 3po3

Susan, that's about as good an explanation as anything I can think of. As Woodbridge said, I have seen mice leaving behind debris like this, but it's an odd place for them to nest, and larva part doesn't fit with that. Hmmmmm.

• Judy S

I haven't taken the fuzzy cocoon apart, but it felt sticky and there was a small dark mass inside. I agree with everyone who said it was weird! But then again this whole summer has been weird weather-wise.

• Susan S

YEP!! ALIENS - for sure!! ;~)

• Jeanette S

Susan, I agree! Gotta be Aliens!

• Jeanette S

PS...forgot to tell Judy to get out the tin foil and make some tin hats! The Aleins are hanging out back there !

• Where is Ralph on the honeymooners in his space outfit when you need him!

• Susan S

The Aliens abducted him!!!

• Jeanette S

I think we have the workings for a best seller and blockbuster movie going here!

• Susan S

Casting call in 15 minutes!!!

• Terry Thomas

Carpenter Bees