Karen
Karen
  • Orlando, FL
Asked on Aug 6, 2012

Which side of the Hardibacker backer board do I lay the tile? Rough or smooth side?

SpanktusKMS WoodworksWoodbridge Environmental Tiptophouse.com
+2

Doing a tub tile repair. Need to re-install tiles after putting new section of backer board. I have Hardibacker. There is a rough side and a smooth side. Which side do I lay the the against?
  • 3po3

I believe the tile should be adhered to the smooth side.

• If you look carefully on the edges along the long side you will see a indent much like you would find on wall board. This is only visible on one side and not the other. This is the smooth side of the board. This indent allows you to tape with fiberglass tape and thin set compound to give you a solid surface in which to place the tile. So smooth side out.

• KMS Woodworks

The rough side is the back or bottom...with 1/4 " hardie there is often scoring lines on the front...1/2" just has the printing on the front.

• Spanktus

On the video provided by hardiebacker, for wall tiling, it says either side is fine although they recommend the rough side.
  • Spanktus

here is the webpage containing the video: http://www.hardieinstallation.com/hardiebacker-14.shtml