Maggie B
Maggie B
  • Green Bay, WI
Asked on Aug 6, 2012

Can anyone help me...my clematis is stuck. It looks healthy, but it isn't doing anything. It started out fine and has gr

Douglas HuntMaggie BShelly G
+4

• 3po3

Maggie, I think your question was cut off. There is a character limit for the "headline" section of your question, but the main question space is unlimited. Please add more, and I'm sure folks here can give you a hand.

I'm only guessing about the rest of your question, Maggie, but clematis are notoriously slow to take off. It is not at all uncommon to see almost no growth the first year they are in the ground.

• Shelly G

Thanks, Douglas. I have some that I planted this spring. I was wondering about that.

• Maggie B

Thanks everyone, the balance of the question was that, it has just seems to have stopped growing. I transplanted it from my brothers garden last summer, and it took off great last year, even bloomed. I'm not sure if I need to fertilize it, and if so...what type is best?

I'm surprised your plant took off so fast after transplanting, Maggie. Maybe it is just putting its energy into developing a good root system this year, which is crucial to the long-term happiness of a clematis. According to the International Clematis Society, you can use tomato fertilizer, rose food, or any good 5-10-10 fertilizer.

• Maggie B

Thank you Douglas. I appreciate you input, I will try that and see if it helps.

Good luck with your clematis, Maggie.