Jeff C
Jeff C
  • Broadview Heights, OH
Asked on Aug 7, 2012

How Do I Prevent Weeds From Growing In Concrete Expansion Joints?

Jeff CJeanette SWalter Reeves
+1

I know there is some sort of elastic caulk I can apply within the joints of sidewalks and other areas of concrete that will prevent weeds from growing. Does anyone know the name of that product?

I think you use any urethane caulk, Jeff. If your expansion joints are wider than 1/4 inch, you might want to fill with a foam backer rod first then fill in with the caulk.

• Walter Reeves

Bayer Durazone herbicide will prevent plant growth in cracks for several months.

• Jeanette S

Vinegar will get rid of them for months and is not harmful to pets or people. They can touch it, lick it or whatever. It is handy and cheap and is not harmful if you splash it on yourself while applying it! I love vinegar! Be warned that it will kill sod and flowers if you try to use it as a weed preventer...but then so will commercial products.

• Jeff C

Thank you all for the replies. I picked up some Concrete and Mortar caulking for large cracks/joints but it looks like it takes 48-72 hours for a full cure. I'll have to wait for a stretch of dry days before I can apply it. The way it's been around here, I won't have to wait long.