Home Repair Tutor
Home Repair Tutor
  • Pittsburgh, PA

How to Keep Mold from Invading Your New Bathroom Renovation

Bathrooms are highly susceptible to mold growth due to the moisture created by bathtubs and faucets. So I'm sharing what materials we're using in our small renovation to preserve the indoor air quality.
We are using the following building materials (and feel free to comment):
-cement board for shower surround
-Redgard as a waterproofing membrane
-fiberglass faced wallboard panels
-fiberglass drywall joint tape
-setting type joint compound that dries in 45 minutes
Since the shower has no exterior walls we decided to forgo the vapor barrier over the studs. But if we needed one it would have been installed along with Roxul insulation.
My latest blog post discusses the reasons we chose these materials. You can click here for more details http://www.homerepairtutor.com/choose-the-right-bathroom-wall-materials/
I'd love to hear your feedback!!
how to keep mold from invading your new bathroom renovation, bathroom ideas, home improvement, home maintenance repairs, wall decor
Home Repair Tutor

• Hi, My point was that if you use moisture resistant drywall, why not use moisture resistant screws to install that too. Phillips screws are still the preferred drywall screw because they are designed so the driver will cam out when the fastener is at the proper depth, generally. People don't realize that what they don't like about them is precisely what they were designed to do--the head will strip before the threads strip out the wood. For many other applications, The Robertson (square drive) or Torx are nice (like installing cement board).

• Rebekah Furlong - Stockin

My new shower was done in this same manner.