Teresa C
Teresa C
  • Willow Spring, NC
Asked on Aug 8, 2012

Can anyone identify this tree? I would appreciate it. It is located very close to Charlotte NC.

LindaShelby24019Lisamariaweiss
+11

#1 Fruit tree of some kind maybe?
#1 Fruit tree of some kind maybe?
#2 same tree
#2 same tree
#3 same tree
#3 same tree
#4 same tree
#4 same tree
#5 same tree
#5 same tree
#6 same tree
#6 same tree
#7 same tree
#7 same tree
#8 same tree
#8 same tree
#9 same tree
#9 same tree
#10 same tree
#10 same tree
#11 same tree
#11 same tree

What makes you think it could be a fruit tree? Have you seen it in flower?

• Walter Reeves

At first I thought it was a Bradford pear due to the angle of the branches but now I believe it's just an ancient apple tree

• Teresa C

Douglas, I have not seen it in flower. I just have a gut feeling it is some kind of fruit tree... Thx

• Teresa C

Thanks for the answers, but I'm still hoping for more ideas.

• Karen C

Do they get berries on them? I have some in my back yard too I think. I don't know what they are though, sorry.

• Teresa C

My friends have been in this house only a few months so don't know if it will get berries or not. Thx

• Teresa C

The tree looks like it has been neglected for years and really needs a good, professional cleanup. I suggest your friends hire an arborist to come out and take a look. They'll have a better-looking tree, and one that they know what is.

• Diane

In picture #9 it looks like there are holes drilled in the branches, could there be a nest of carpenter bees?

• Becca

Teresa, it looks like some Mulberry Trees we have in the back of our property. It gets flowers then small dark berries.

• Shelby24019

Whatever this tree is, one thing is for sure the sap suckers love it from the looks of the holes.

• Lisamariaweiss

It looks like a pomegranite tree to me. Does it ever get orange flowers and does it have little sharp edges on it almost like thorns on the branches in the winter when the wood is exposed? My pomegranite tree looks exactly like that but does bear fruit because I baby it! Try aerating the soil at the base so it can easily absorb nutrients, take out any vegetation at that level so it doesn't compete for food, and feed it to see if it flowers in the spring...that will help you identify what it is.

• Shelby24019

I agree it looks like some type of pear tree because of the way the trunk and branches have formed. But I'm not sure of the looks of the bark.

• Linda

This appears to be the dreaded Mulberry tree. The raspberry looking fruit in the spring is a birds delight and a gardeners nightmare! The birds eat the fruit and plant the seeds in their droppings all over my gardens. They grow fast and have a log tap root that is almost impossible to pull out. Even the little saplings are a nightmare to get out. I have them growing inside my rose bushes and blue spruce trees where they went unnoticed until it was to late to get them out. I can only cut them down every year. I thought it looks some what like a big crab apple tree too, or an old Bradford pear tree.