Art
Art
  • Westmont, IL
Asked on Aug 8, 2012

concrete work

KMS WoodworksArt
+3

end (4x4) part of my front porch was removed for work. need it replaced or do i need the whote porch redone? cost of both, thank you, Art from chicago area
  • KMS Woodworks

Art...I'm not exactly sure what your asking...is this concrete work of simple replacing a wooden 4 x4 post?...which should normally be set in concrete or to a bracket that is set with a bolt that is in the concrete. If one post has rotted away what is the condition of the other posts? If one post was exposed to excess water from a leaky drain pipe or something that issue should be correct as well.

• Art

my main sewer pipe broke causing plugging/backup, so had to flush the main pipe drain. the pipe had broken and to fix and get to that pipe they had to tear up part of the front cement/concrete porch. luckily it was the end part. for whatever reason that's how the builder made it. the part that was tore up is about 4 x 4 with the new clean out in the center. so do i replace the whole porch with hole over clean out pipe or the 4 x 4 that was tore up. what would be the cost for both? or should i build a wall on 2 sides, fill with stone and put a block/slab of concrete on top? thanks, Art

• KMS Woodworks

I would rework the 4 x 4 slab to allow a grate to be installed over the clean out. Can you post a pic?

• Art

here are some photo's. thanks, art

• Art

KMS, the left of the 2nd photo is the stoop/porch where they cut off, 3rd, 4th, 5th are smaller/lower extended porch. so they cut off from the stoop to extended porch.

• KMS Woodworks

I would work that as a step, with a grate installed over the clean out...the clean out would go a "basin area" below the grate. Ideally that clean out would be leveled and the basin would have a small length of pvc pipe embedded in it that would drain water to the right in the first pic. For future convenience I would also rework that post base with a J bolt and an AB 44 post bracket. That would allow for an easy post replacement when that burid in the dart base starts to rot. http://www.amazon.com/Simpson-Strong-AB44-WEST-Standoff-Post/dp/B000VS9WNM