The Chirping Frog
The Chirping Frog
  • Glen Carbon, IL

Concrete Patio Table

A couple years ago I took a few classes at a Concrete Show in Nashville, TN. One of the classes was by a man named Ben Ashby, great guy... very creative and the class was chock full of information and inspiration. He has a system for countertops that is truly unique and quite amazing. As soon as we got home I ordered materials and started a table for the back patio.
concrete patio table, concrete masonry, diy, outdoor furniture
I knew I wanted a "liquid" shape with no corners. This is what we came up with.
The boys did the mixing... I used three colors, placing it how I wanted within the framed top. When all is said and done, it will be flipped over so the top is actually on the bottom while we're "pouring". There is a product that you use to keep the colors from bleeding together too much and it leaves crevices where you put it to add interest for the next step.
Adding more concrete....
Here it is all filled up. When we flip it this will be the bottom of the tabletop.
The boys (my hubby and 2 sons) and I flipped the table over.... thankfully we didn't break it. The boys were young, probably 10 and 12, and I'm not that strong (the thing weighs quite a bit)... I really don't know how we did it.... Now you are looking at the top as it came out of the forms. The white you see is baking soda. There is a specialty product but baking soda works and is a lot cheaper.... it keeps the colors separate and allows crevices to form....
This is the tabletop with midway through the slurry process. You use a slurry coat, sand, slurry coat, sand, slurry coat, sand.... until you fill the crevices to your liking.
I knew I wanted to play with tree stumps sometime so we made them the bases for the table.... My husband framed them up using sonotubes and Styrofoam to make the base structure and then I used the vertical carving mix to finish them off.
Put them together and you have a unique, OOAK patio table.
I would love to make wall panels for my basement bathroom and possibly a fireplace surround.... who knows when that'll be ready for finishing touches.... future project!

The Chirping Frog

• Jonalyn Carver

can you explain how you made the tree stumps for the base of the table?
  • Jen R

Your table is gorgeous, it turned out amazing! How long is your table? In your opinion, how long do you think you could successfully make the table, perhaps adding a third base if necessary?

• The Chirping Frog

By adding bases you could make the table as long as you wanted.... your problem is turning it. This particular process is done upside down and it’s heavy. If you use an in-place process you’d get a different look but it’s built in place, no turning.

• Jen R

What are the dimensions of your table? I wasn't able to find anything on your blog post about the final size. Just curious.

• Sneeze01

This is a beautiful table!!! What is the textured liner you used on the inside of the melamime?

• Id like more info on the process. What did you use to add color to the concrete? Can you email me?

• Laura Scott

Hi

I would also like more information on the process. How did you mix the concrete on the table? You say slurry coat, sand, slurry coat, sand, slurry coat, sand.What does this process actually look like, Do you have a fully tutorial anywhere?

Laura

• Cmlemoine911

I'm wondering the same. LOVE, LOVE the table!

• Diana

Love it but it looks difficult. Wish there was more detail for how you added the colors.

• Alisa Lyles

I also would like more information about the whole process but this post is an older post. About the slurry I’m thinking it’s the instructions on the acrylic slurry for concert and as for the color that as well is a concert tint but again I’m just guessing I was hoping to find a video of the process cause I sure would love to try to make something like this. Hopefully they will answer some questions and share the process good luck

• Alisa Lyles

Try going to they’re Facebook page

The Chirping Frog and then look at the album market concert work

its a market place I think but there is some beautiful pieces of art

• Kelly-n-Tony

Please make this a full tutorial! It's beautiful but no directions :(

• The Chirping Frog

Just place the concrete in the form where you want the colors gently, at this time I was throwing a little baking soda between the colors to help keep them separate. This first layer is your colored layer, only fills the bottom portion of your form then you continue filling the rest of the form with a single color. I also used the multiple colors up the sides of the form since you’ll see them too.

I will never do a full tutorial, this is a paid class to learn the process thru Mr. Ashby and that’s not right to share fully. Anyone with concrete experience can figure it out easily from what I have shown.

• Diane Morris

What did you use to make the sides of the form?

• CJ

Just above the "Ask a question" button above, there is a text box that you can click for more information.

• Diane Morris

Went there first, couldn't find the answer. Thought it was an easy, straightforward issue to answer. Sorry to bother you

• Linda Sikut

Diane, she's just letting you know where to ask the question. You aren't a bother at all, it's simply the structure of the web page. :)

• The Chirping Frog

we Own a couple sets of form liners, that’s what we used to make the rough edges.

• Patty V. Y

Diana M. & C..J. Just to let you and anyone ese know, I did not see what was used for the sided to form the shape ether I have a Tablet, and run with my Samsung, and I wondered as well, double checked too. I do have a general list of like items used, below the project and where to buy, however it did not link, or mention product name or link. I am glad to see The Chirping Frog gave them a name. Thanks

• Emily

You have not really explained how this was done. For instance what is the base of the form? What were the blocks you inserted to create the shape? How did you separate the base from the concrete? How were the tree stumps made? Your project looks great, no doubt about that, but if someone wanted to replicate it they would be lost.

• Jeanne Martin

This project looks way too involved and difficult to list complete instructions here on Hometalk. They took lessons to learn this! I'm sure this post was meant to introduce us to the possibilities of using cement and to show us what can be accomplished. If you really want to do something like this try and find similar lessons in your area. You could try watching YouTube videos but you sound like a real novice so you probably would need lessons.

To The Chirping Frog: I LOVE your table! What a unique and beautiful piece for your porch!!!

• Emily

If we did want to do something like this we would check out you tube. But my understanding of DIY projects posted here was that in reading them a Hometalker would be prepared to do the project. In fact I thought that was the whole purpose of Home Talk!

• Debbie Paul Child

I agree with Emily. I have seen other projects with concrete as example one for the kitchen counters that was in detail. It is beautiful but please list all items used to do the project with step by step instructions. Thanks for sharing this.

• Christine Cajigas

Beautiful results, great finish. But what did you use for the framing in order to omit sharp corners? I can look up sonotube. But the rough exterior fininsh on the trunks,,,is that concrete as well? Or is that what sonotube is? Sorry for not knowing. Did you eventually place a shiny finish on the top piece? Loving the project tho. Your sons & husband do great teamwork. Thank you for sharing.

• Sonya VonLuehrte

Hello Very Talented DIY'er,

I too love the concrete table but am blown away by the tree stump table legs/stumps. I can follow the table creation based on the information provided. As far as the material used to make the shape of the table, I'd presume you could use some bendable plastic forms. That would be amazing to be able to see how the different colors of concrete would look once it is dry and flipped over. Your table is amazing. I definitely would have to start small with a coffee table and some end tables. Back to the tree stump bases--those are gorgeous. I would love to know more about that process. How did you know the size you needed to support the table top? I like counter top height personally but traditional height is just as savy . Do you have more information on your Facebook Page "The Chirping Frog"on how these amazing tree stumps came to life? I didn't notice but did you use just one color of concrete or all three colors, the black and browns to highlight areas on the tree stumps? Did you add a shine to the table top top and tree stump bases to protective from the ever changing weather? I know Texas can get hot but I'm in Ohio so we never know if it's going to rain, snow, be below 32° or in the 90°'s no matter the season. Thank you for sharing your beautiful table and amazing tree stump bases. I'm going to check out your website too. I've seen tons of regular counter tops made on HGTV but your creation blows them away. Who knows maybe you'll be a future candidate for the new show Hometalk is doing. I'm positive you have lots of family and friends that would love to have a one of a kind patio table at their home too!

Thanks again for sharing your amazing one of a kind concrete patio table with amazing tree stump bases!

Sonya from

Cincinnati, OH

• Sarge

The table looks great! What is the thickness of the table itself? I did not see that you used any wire in the making of the top of the table for stability and sturdiness. is there a reason why you didn't?

• The Chirping Frog

There isn’t any wire mesh or rebar in the table too, the mix used has fiber for added strength.

• Elegant and cozy

It looks great! I will be doing this in the future. I have a few questions:

what material or chemical did you use to prevent concrete mix from sticking to the base?

How long did you leave the concrete drying before turning it over?

What are the dimensions of the table and how many bags of cement did you use? Is it for 4 or 6 chairs?

Did you sand the concrete to make it smooth, did you use a float? Did you seal it?

I just curious. I love your project and was looking to buy a concrete table set but they cost $300-500 in my area and I prefer to do it myself and give it my own personal touches.

• Stacilyn Hembree

pure genius! how long did this take I would have to hire help for a couple parts. how on earth did u do the stumps. didn't quite understand that. more 411 on cement classes??? wow just wow. thnx

• Cathy

What is the material to create the mold/frame of the table top? How do you keep the concrete from bonding to that frame? Thanks for your help.

• The Chirping Frog

Melamime cut to required depth is fairly flexible and used to create fluid shapes. There are a variety of releasing agents used to keep the mix from sticking to whatever formwork used.

• Vickie

What did you use to frame the concrete and how did you keep the concrete from sticking to it?

• Michael

How did you make the stumps? Materials, process, steps, etc.

How did you make your forms? Materials, process, steps, etc.