Amazing Dinner Plates Dahlias

Dahlias range widely in height and foliage color, as well as bloom size, variety and shape. "Dinner plate" varieties may have blooms as large as 12" in diameter.
On a recent visit to a local flower farm, it was bright blue sky and dahlias as far as the eye can see!
The dahlias we have come particularly to see are the "Dinner Plates" which, as the name suggests, are blooms the size of a small dinner plate.
Put just one of these flowers in a vase and you already have a floral arrangement with a big impact.
This striking dinner plate streaked with magenta and maroon caught my eye immediately.
This is Dahlia 'Bristol Stripe'.
In the field there were rows of different shades of pink and lavender.
Dahlia 'Otto's Thrill'
Dahlia 'Cafe au Lait' is a creamy mix of pink and pale peach.
Opposite the row of hot pink Dahlia 'Otto's Thrill' is a line of creamy-yellow flowers striped with red.
Dahlia 'Lady Darlene'
The flower petals swirl up from the centre like flames.
If you want to grow dahlias, here is some brief pointers for storing them over winter in a northern garden zone:
To overwinter the tubers, wait until frost has blackened the foliage and then dig deep beneath the clump. Lift the tubers carefully avoiding any possible damage to the neck near the crown. Each mother tuber can yield as many as 10 more tubers by autumn.
Use a sharp knife to slice the young tubers from the crown. Discard the "mother" along with any baby tubers showing signs of damage. Bring the tubers indoors and wash the soil from the tubers. Allow them to dry for 24 hours. Use a permanent marker to label the tubers for easy identification in spring. Place them in cardboard box and fill it with dry wood shavings or sawdust. Store your tubers in a dry place that stays above freezing temperatures for the winter. (A cold cellar or heated garage will work well. A basement may be too warm. )

30 Address Signs That'll Make Your Neighbors Stop in Admiration
30 Unbelievable Backyard Update Ideas
Check Out These 30 Incredible Floor Transformations Ideas
24 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
30 Gorgeous Ways To Keep Your Home Organized
30 Different Ways to DIY an Adorable Snowman This Winter
20 Ways To Make Your Own Personalized Clock
Update Your Plain Dishes With These Adorable Ideas
15 Awesome Projects To Get You Ready For St. Patrick's Day
23 Adorable Ways You Can Make Your Own Coasters
15 Ways To Upcycle And Create More Storage At The Same Time
15 Perfectly Round Tables
15 Kitchen DIY Ideas That Will Come In Handy
Three Dogs in a Garden

• Eroque022810

They are my favorite flower. I live in northern Illinois and had the opportunity to speak with someone who had beautiful dahlias. He took his out of the ground and stored them. I'm in zone 5 I believe I wonder if I have to go to that trouble? That's what keeps me from planting them. Then he stored his in his garage unheated. I may give it a shot,if I buy one and it can stay in the ground I'll purchase more. So you didn't say which one you went with how can you choose?
    • Three Dogs in a Garden

I think even in zone 5 you'd have to lift them. What about trying them in pots? That might make things easier in the fall.

• Carmine

Hi I just planted my first ones and live in a zone 8(Rhode Island) do I need to do the same or they can just stay in the ground for next year?