The Best Kept Secret to Cleaning Tile and Grout

$1

I didn't know this little cleaner was my best kept secret to cleaning tile and grout until I tried it. Stains and dirt that soap, baking soda and hydrogen peroxide couldn't touch this fabulous cleaner removed with ease.
Before: deep brown and dirty.
My best kept secret: Bon Ami. This cleaner is about a $1 at the grocery store. Sprinkle for a medium to liberal coverage, then spray with a 50/50 mixture of white vinegar and water.
Scrub with a brush, rinsing the brush regularly in water. Let the runny paste sit for at least 5-10 minutes before wiping up and a thorough rinse.
After: Light sandy, clean grout.
Head over to the blog for more tips and tricks.

Angela

• Atiya Gazalu

Is this available in Austrslia?

• Atiya Gazalu

I this product for cleaning tiles and grout available in Australia?

• Jeanette

It has to be cos my hubby used to use it 30 years ago when working on trains for QR. They used it for cleaning

• Robyn Wallace

I have looked but no one stocks it anymore, same with ajax cleaner. The closest I found is Force smooth paste cleaner from Aldi

• Koba

Is this product available in South Africa?

• Sashikala

Is this product available in India?

• Jackie

You can also use Soft Scrub or Barkeeper's Friend

• Kari Froelicher

My only concern about using an abrasive to clean grout is that over time it will eat away the grout. Have you noticed that happening anywhere?

• Bill

If the grout is good quality, you should not loose much if any. Bon Ami is not very abrasive. If you loose some grout, it is very easy to skim coat the old grout with some fresh new grout.

• Bb

Is this product like Comet?

• Kat12459764

Bon Ami is very similar to Comet, but it is not as abrasive.

• Neelam dhamrait

Where do I buy this product from

• Terrylleeds

TerryL It looks like Target carries this product, but it costs more than a $1 there

• Jennifer Schreiner

What part of a store can I find it. Would it be in the cleaning isle like with comet

• Jennifer Schreiner

What isle in the store would I find this product? Woukd it be in the isle with things like comet

• Kyp Purifoy

It should be in the aisle where the other cleaners are. If not, find an older store, as Bon Ami is an older product. My mom had some under the kitchen sink, and when we moved in, I kept it. Now I know what to use it for!

• Jagruti

Is it okay to use on marble flooring? Would it damage the marble?

• Cr88650663

Never use vinegar on marble or granite, it will permently damage it.

• Teri Broberg

Absolutely no vinegar or anything acidic on marble

• Kirsty Merrell

Yikes! We just moved to a new to us house that has granite kitchen counters. I've been using a mix of vinegar & water cleaner for years. What should I be using?

• Sharon Catania

Home Depot carries granite counter cleaners.

• Barb in Texas

Do a search here, but don't use anything acidic on granite, it can ruin the shiny finish.

• Birdie Berghuis

I started using Tilex. They have a "pen" that is broad and pencil tips on either end. I use the pencil tip to infuse the Tilex on the grout only and let it set for 6-8 hrs and then wash it off with blue dawn solution. The grout is, for the most part, white or whatever color it is supposed to be. If you use Bon-ami on marble, the shiny goes away and it is permanently damaged. Tilex seems to do a good job.. Can repeat if necessary!.

• Peggy Proctor

After cleaning the tile that deeply does it have to be resealed

• Angela

On flooring grout needs to be resealed every 2-3 years and in the shower, every year or so. If it's been a while since you've had your grout sealed, it would be great to seal it again after a deep cleaning.

• Ann Gardner

Can this be used on Travistene?

• Mam14389113

What is the best resealer? Need to do so for our tiles. Thank you.

• Skip

What is it? I don't see it listed, just my best kept secret. Guess it is going to stay that way haha

• Bb

She listed it as BonAmi powder cleanser.

• Sherrie Slaboda

She even posted a pic.

• Pas17491360

Bon Ami's slogan on my container is : "Since 1886 hasn't scratched yet" It is a gentle cleaner whose particles dissolve as you are working it.

• Ell6894737

Hi.About this Bon Ami cleaning powder.I live in Spain and have never seen it.Do you perhaps think or know whether this is only sold in the USA? Thanking you in advance .Mrs.L.A.Southern

• Teresa Llerena-Perez

will Ajax do the work?
    • Teresa

The formulas for Bon Ami & Ajax are different.
  • Jan13995171

Do you have to sand grout cause it eats into it?
    • Katie

I believe she was using the term "sandy" as a description of the grout after it was clean. "Light sandy" as in "light beige" colored grout instead of dirty, yucky grout!

• Lanier Whilden

Will this work on dark grout as well? Thanks.
  • Sandy Hassinger

where do I buy the Xiloa ?
  • Dora Margolis Moscovitch

Will it remove painted sealer
  • Darlene vlazny

How can it be used on bathroom Walls? Make the Bon Ami into a paste?
    • Maggie Misenar

Maybe, wet your brush, then dip it in the powder? Because it is a powdery substance, it will dissolve when water is added. It’s not like “flour” where it clumps in little moisture.

• Jojo

any suggestions of cleaning black encaustic concrete tiles that has a little mold? Can’t use powder cleaners as they leave a mark. I was told only use miracle but not good enough. Please help!

• Maggie Misenar

I was told be an expert that “vinegar” is the only thing that will kill surface mold. Try a bleach pen? Soft Scrub?

• Cindy Simpson Hall

I cleaned 50+ year old 1” square white floor tiles with white grout using blue Dawn dish detergent, baking soda & peroxide.

worked like a charm! Just sprinkled baking, squirted Dawn detergent, then poured peroxide on top & started scrubbing with a scrub brush.

No specific measurements for the baking soda, detergent and peroxide. Wish I had known about this tip years ago!!!

• Khicks4330

Use vinegar and tree tea oil mixture. It goes below the grout and kills bacteria and mold. 1 cup vinegar and 1 tablespoon teatree oil. Spray, scrub, rinse, spray and leave on. Can be sprayed daily.

• Jojo

I have black encaustic concrete tiles that need a bit of cleaning. I can’t use powder cleaner as they leave a mark. Please help,! I’m told I can only use miracle but not good enough. I’ve even hired maid services to see if they know how to clean but no one does.

• Alison Bulick Gilroy

Have you googled how to clean almost anything? Shaklee, or whatever they go by these days, has a product that is soooo awesome! Industrial Sterngth Clean is a concentrate that you mix with water in a spray bottle and it is unstoppable! I used it once to clean crayon off an easy chair! And the fabric was that 70’s-80’s velour type light blue! Wet rag wrung out and that stuff were no match for crayon!

• Maggie Misenar

Absolutely, I’ll try it! I’ll try anything once. IF I cannot find Bon Ami, is there anything comparable?

• Eva Kisocama

Try Bar Keepers Friend. It's great & pretty inexpensive too

• Letty

Bar keepers? Wher can I find that?

• Joan

If you can't find it at your local market try a hardware store.

• Jennifer

got my bar keepers on amazon

• Melody Harley

Where do u live tans what grocery store is this sold in??

• Leanne

My grout is white, or used to be. I wonder if I can use Comet with bleach. Will try mixing with your ingredients. In the past it worked when mixed with straight bleach, then scrubbed with a grout brush. But takes a looong time to do the entire place. Oh and seal afterwards, or else your results won't last. The sealer needs reapplied every six months or so

• Iris

Can I clean my grout with this solution even though I have marble floors?

• Sunday poole

I have the same problem Iris. I hope someone can help us.

• Laura Cooper

Marble can only have a neutral cleaner on it. If you are looking for a home product, dishsoap is neutral. Only use a few drops in a bucket of water. You can also buy neutral floor cleaner.

• Mary Krugh Hussey

I used to clean my marble shower stall with a baking soda paste.

• Corinne Ricci

No! Marble floor will etch and cloud using this... dawn dish soap (a few drops in a bucket of distilled water (1gallon). You can find distilled water at the grocery store... water that has no minerals! So no water spots!

• Ron

Where can I buy in the United Kingdom

• Leanne

I wonder if you can use a grout brush instead of a toothbrush

• Anastasia

There's grout cleaner at Lowe's or any store really! It cleans them pretty much for you! Just pour on & let sit, use larger brush to basically scrape the dirt that comes off on top and mop-done. No getting on your hands and knees with a tooth brush! 🙄

• Michael

The easy way you put it makes me wanna try it out as soon as possible. I'm not really keen on scrubbing with a toothbrush though so I really hope a long brush works as well. The fact that Bon ami is just one dollar makes me even more curious about it and I really hope I'm able to get it and that it gets the job done well.

Thanks for the tip.