The Space Between
The Space Between
  • Key West, FL

DIY a sturdy and good looking floating shelf!

Using all scrap wood, and with the help of some advice I got from KMS Woodworkers here on Hometalk, I built my own floating shelf. I was thrilled to realize it was as intimidating a project as I thought it was going to be. I didn't make a complete torsion box, but my own 'version' of one. (Gotta love a good DIY improvisation.) I share my tips for cutting a straight line with a jig saw and what I found for the decorative front detail of the shelf in my post, http://www.thespacebetweenblog.net/2012/07/30/how-to-build-a-floating-shelf-tutorial/.
siy floating shelf
siy floating shelf
measuring the width of the shelf
measuring the width of the shelf
measuring the height of the shelf
measuring the height of the shelf
completed shelf with a lot of DIY decor
completed shelf with a lot of DIY decor
The Space Between

• The Space Between

Thank you so much Caitlin, I love the idea of floating shelves in a powder room.

• Edward Thirlwall

Scrap woods can be good materials for DIY storage units. Many ideas featured in Pinterest use scrap woods or discarded vintage furniture. It is great to find that old and vintage furniture find new life in DIY projects for the home.