The Chirping Frog
The Chirping Frog
  • Glen Carbon, IL

Concrete Vanity Base

After a trip to World Of Concrete I was soooo inspired to use concrete in as many ways as possible in our new home. I told my husband I wanted an egg shaped vanity base in the little hallway bathroom. He thought I was crazy, as usual, but proceeded to frame it up for me and "make it work." We used Buddy Rhodes Concrete Mixes. if you haven't seen his stuff you should take a look-amazing stuff! You can find examples on Facebook at "Buddy Rhodes Concrete Products."
concrete vanity base, bathroom ideas, concrete masonry
With Buddy Rhodes system you are working upside down Placing handfuls of material at a time gently "twisting" as you place them, leaving "pockets" as you fill in your form. You will later come in and fill in those "pockets" with a slurry.
You can see how thick the base will be we've got it filled in and are letting it cure a little bit before we remove the framing. I chose green for the main color and a grey for the slurry.
I wanted a glass bowl sink with a faucet coming out of the wall. Here you can see the hole for plumbing in the top of the base.
This is what it looks like coming out of the forms you can see the "pockets" I was talking about. Now it's time to go in with a slurry and fill them in. I chose a contrasting color.
This was our biggest mistake in the project. My husband is still kicking himself. It really doesn't bother me too bad, but it would be nice to not have a seam line down the middle. Don't know why he framed it out with a seam here but he did. Live and learn!
Here it is all finished. Of course it's a trade-off- a completely unique base but you lose out on storage. This would not work in any other bathroom in my house, but in this little powder room. To me it was worth it.
We will be finishing a bathroom in the basement this winter, hopefully. I'm putting together plans for another vanity project- this time with storage. Can't wait to get started.

The Chirping Frog

• Joyce

absolutely out standing 1question how do you get to the pipeline

• Darlene

you need to make a bath tub to match it that would be beautiful