TaniaC
TaniaC
  • Fairfield, IL
Asked on Aug 8, 2012

What should I do to my Hydrangeas??

Katherine WaldronTaniaCVidya: Whats Ur Home Story
+20

My Hydrangeas were absolutely Gorgeous this year for the first time since I planted them... But with this nasty drought and High temps they sure did a toll on them... Should I cut the flowers off so they will bloom next year or should I leave them? They didn't Bloom at all last year and I was so excited to see all the blooms that were on them this year...I watered them every day but this still happened...I'm so disappointed..:(... can anyone give me any pointers PLEEEEZE!
Look how Beautiful they looked..;)
Look how Beautiful they looked..;)
And Look what the sun and heat did to them..:(
q what should i do to my hydrangeas, flowers, gardening, hydrangea
  • April

I'm so sorry to hear about your Hydrangeas. Though I don't know what to advise, I just wanted to relate plant wise, as my shrubbery is feeling the effects of drought, too. Hopefully someone will be able to help you. :)

• April
  • Walter Reeves

I'd remove the flowers whenever they become unattractive. Pruning now will remove some of the bloom buds that have already formed. I'd leave them unpruned after removing flowers.

• TaniaC

Walter will this prevent them from blooming next year???

• TaniaC

Thank you JulieXo that was very helpful info...Cheers!♥

Tania, you should deadhead them, removing as little of the stems as possible.

@Margaret Larsen Depending on the type of hydrangea the winter could certainly have been too blame. And I don't know any of them that would be happiest in a full west exposure.

• Somewhat Quirky

Tania, I have 8 different kinds of hydrangeas and they all react differently to the heat - or just being alive for that matter. Some just don't dry attractively. Some look better the longer they stay on the plant. Trust Douglas (above) - deadhead them. Depending on what kind you have you might get more new blooms. Don't prune them. Research the type you have to determine what the pruning instructions are for your particular plant. They are not all the same.

• TaniaC

Ok so here is what I did Hopefully I did it the right way...I cut the flowers stem as close as I could to the actual foliage trying not to take too much stem hopefully this is what you meant by deadheading??... You can see in picture # 4 and 5 that it looks like they are already starting to re bud???...I think that's what that is..I guess we'll find out next year fingers crossed xx if they bloom again .. Thank you for all of your wonderful help I don't know what I would do without this sight Cheers!♥

q what should i do to my hydrangeas, flowers, gardening, hydrangeaq what should i do to my hydrangeas, flowers, gardening, hydrangea, Cut as close as I could to the flower without taking too much of the stemq what should i do to my hydrangeas, flowers, gardening, hydrangea, remnants of my beautiful blooms so Sadq what should i do to my hydrangeas, flowers, gardening, hydrangea, Is this what you mean By Bloom budsq what should i do to my hydrangeas, flowers, gardening, hydrangea
  • See More
  • Walter Reeves

Perfect pruning! Those green buds in pix 4 & 5 will make blooms next year.

• Judy V

my question is how doI keep my leaves looking good? mine have dark spots and are burned.

• TaniaC

Thank you Walter x:) and thanks to Douglas and Somewhat Quirky I don't know what I would do with out all the wonderful help you get on here ...It's making me a better gardener By far and I love my Garden♥

Well done, Tania. Here's hoping your efforts ensure blooms next year.

• TaniaC

Thank you Douglas..:)

• Sue H

Hi, I was raised in Mt. Carmel Ill. although I left in early 60's. They make little cups that has a hook on the top and bottom to put water in ..maybe a little Olive oil to keep the ants out..

• Gail Salminen

Hi Tania, I have a taller variety of Hydrangea, that I don't prune til fall or spring, then just take the heads off and get plenty of blooms. Also have a couple of Hydrangea bushes that bloom at different times and don't prune at all. Have some smaller versions that sometimes bloom sometimes don't. Didn't get enough water this year due to drought conditions, even though I watered - apparently not enough - maybe better next year. Looks like you are doing the right stuff for where you live and your conditions.

• TaniaC

Thanks @Gail Salminen I got lots of help on here and it looks like they are doing great... Crossing fingers that I get lots of blooms next year cause the drought sure did put a hurting on them this year.... thanks for the info ..Cheers!♥

• Vidya: Whats Ur Home Story

Gorgeous flowers. Hopefully they will comeback in full force next year. Newest follower.

• TaniaC

Thank you @Vidya: Whats Ur Home Story I do too... It's such a beautiful site to see every time I walk up the stairs to my front Door...I just love their Color..:) I am trying to start another bush out back... I took a cutting from this one and Planted it Out near the back side of my home... It seems to be doing real good and there are new little buds starting to flower..XX crossing fingers ... thanks for following I returned the favor..:) Cheers!♥

• Katherine Waldron

I need help on when to cut back the hydrangeas. My husband cut them back last year and they did not produce any flowers this year, did he cut them back to soon, or too late?

• Your comment...