Aging a Wood Beam

When we rebuilt our home we knew we wanted an open concept on the 1st floor. With the size of the rooms we'd need to have a beam running through the area.
staining aging wood beam, diy, living room ideas, painting, woodworking projects
We ended up putting a glulam beam since the cost was significantly less. Plus I knew I could make it look nice.
This was prior to laying the floor. I knew I wanted to do the process before the hardwood went in so I didn't have to worry about the mess.
I aged the beam by using vinegar, steel wool and coffee grounds. I let that mixture sit in a seal jar for about 48 hours. Once it was dark, I strained the coffee grounds out so it'd be easier to use.
I used a rag & wiped the entire beam down with the mixture.
The lighter side here is after it sat for about an hour (while I painted some other rooms). I knew I wanted it darker so I used a glaze from Martha Stewart called coffee. I wiped it on and followed with my rag wet with the original mixture. This helped move the glaze around.
Once we moved in, I allowed for it to sit for months to make sure I didn't need to do any touch ups.
I then painted to middle beam to match with the aged beam. When you look at it, you'd never be able to tell it is glulam beam much less a beam that was brand new.

Lynn Fern