Open shelving in kitchen, Is it right for you?

I am a big fan of the open shelving concept.
I have them in my own kitchen and love them!
I wanted to design something unique that reflected our interest in antiques, architecture and entertaining, a space for people to relax and stay awhile.
Often people will come in and comment on how beautiful they look displayed with our collections of crocks,woodenware, baskets and Sophie Conran Dishes
Usually, the next thing out of their mouth is
" I could never have them in my kitchen, I couldn't keep them looking like that, they would get all messy."
I understand the reluctance, It feels a bit "exposed" but don't forget the benefits...
How many beautiful treasures do you have hidden away never to be seen, only taken out once or twice a year?
Wouldn't it be nice to have the pleasure of seeing those pieces on display?
I use some of the items on my shelves daily, some once a week and others only rarely but they are all a part of the texture of my kitchen, always to hand, and never forgotten... because, I can see them!
I have lots of storage in my lower cabinets, pantry and island, it is more than enough to keep the clutter concealed.
Open shelves are also wonderful way to open up a space. I decided to paint ours white and the beadboard wall behind is a gutsy colour called Woodpecker from C2 paints. The lower cabinets are also painted in Woodpecker.
If you would like to see my full blog post on open shelving with some great photos here is the link.
http://cynthiaweber.com/open-shelving-kitchen/
our kitchen with open shelving for display.
Open shelving framing fridge.
Open shelving for spices nice and handy while cooking.

Cynthia Weber @ A Button Tufted Life...

• MaryStLouis

I have dogs and live in the country so open shelving could never work for me. I am always finding dead moths and dog hair on my counters and don't want them in my cereal bowls! However, it's a cool look.

• Chm2554971

I love this look, and in the photo it's beautiful. But when it comes to everyday use? The columns take up a lot of counter space and all I hear from women these days is "I want a lot of counter space."