Carrie W
Carrie W
  • Sterling, MA
Asked on Aug 8, 2012

What is the best lumber to use for raised beds? Is it 6" or 2" stock?

Walter ReevesMiriam IKMS Woodworks
+3

We want to make some raised veggies bed in our front lawn and have seen different sites and are getting confused in what is best.
  • Walter Reeves

I use 2x6 pressure treated stock and have no problems.

• KMS Woodworks

pressure treated is "chemically treated" some folks avoid this for veggie beds...I have done some beds using synthetic decking....being plastic there is no chemicals or rot potential. this material is not as stiff so you will need to make adjustment to the design. I have used short sections of rebar for lateral support

• Carrie W

Thanks for the answers, but I'm still hoping for more ideas. We are planning on doing this on a front lawn that is very tough to mow. It will get treated badly during the winter. Snow being blown and treated salt from our driveway and from the road

• KMS Woodworks

sounds like some challenging agricultural land....perhaps some hardscaping would be more appropriate?

• Miriam I

Hi Carrie, here is a link to a few raised bed projects on Homettalk. If you see one that interests you, you can ask them about it! http://www.hometalk.com/search?filter=raised+beds&search=&zipcode=

• Walter Reeves

KMS makes a good point...with all that road salt, veggies might not be happy. But maybe you could stretch a plastic cover over the beds to shed snow and salt to the outside.