Pegasus Lighting
Pegasus Lighting
  • Beaver Falls, PA

Apartment Lighting Project: Battery Operated LED Under Cabinet Light

If you’ve read the title of this post, then you know that I live in an apartment. If you have ever lived in an apartment, then you know that any lighting changes can’t (or at least SHOULDN’T) require wiring. You also know the way AC adapters seem to multiply around your precious few power outlets. That’s why I decided to go with a battery operated LED under cabinet light. I used to be skeptical about battery operated lights until I realized how far LED technology has come in terms of efficiency. Because I’ll only use the LED under cabinet light for short tasks, and because LEDs are so efficient, I know that I won’t be changing these batteries very often at all.
I chose our LED Battery Operated Slim Under C
But which battery operated LED under cabinet light would I choose? I wanted something inconspicuous but good-looking, versatile but rigid, so I chose our LED Battery Operated Slim Under Cabinet Light with Hi/Lo/Off Push Button.
apartment lighting project battery operated led under cabinet light, kitchen cabinets, kitchen design, lighting
I chose this particular battery operated LED under cabinet light because of its sleek design. I love the thinness and metallic sheen of the adjustable light head, and, of course, 10 super bright LEDs don’t hurt. I also like that the cleverly designed button allows you to choose from between high and low light levels. Like I said, before this advanced stage in the development of LED lighting, I would have been skeptical about a battery operated LED light. But since I’ll only be using this light for simple tasks and not mood lighting, I know that I won’t be changing any batteries for a darn long time. That’s awesome!
As you may infer from the photo above, my family dabbles in something of a “bohemian chic” (emphasis on the bohemian, lol) aesthetic, so, of course, we do have string lights running around some cupboards, and this maybe sort of counts as under cabinet lighting? But in reality the light is just too warm and low to carry out tasks precisely. It’s important to remember that the counter is useful for preparing food, and it also needs to be cleaned daily. As attractive as the string lights may be (and the same goes for our brand new antique light bulb), a cool white light is necessary to cut through the amber tones.
The Wine Cabinet
The Wine Cabinet
Step 1: I chose the cabinet. (You know, the wine one)
Step 2. I prepared my pathetically small assembly of required equipment and tools.
Included: A drill (or screwdriver), the included screw mount bracket, the included screws, and the light.
Step 3. I fastened the bracket to the cabinet in one minute.
Step 4. I popped 6 AA batteries in the back and snapped the light into place. Would you LOOK at that? Nothing like big results from minimal effort to boost the ego. But seriously, it looks great. Here’s what the light looks like from below, when it’s turned on:
That’s the cool light I was looking for! Yes! Shine your beams upon my otherwise warmly lit counter top, you glorious LED light!
As you can probably guess, I am very happy with this battery operated LED under cabinet light. It has exceeded my expectations in terms of light output, ease of installation, and design. It’s inconscpicuous but good-looking, versatile but rigid. This is exactly what our apartment kitchen lighting scheme needed.
So here is what it looks like to adults. First off and then on.
Without the LED Light.
Without the LED Light.
With the LED Light on.
With the LED Light on.
The verdict is in, folks: $15 kitchen lighting makeover for the win!!!

To see more: http://blog.pegasuslighting.com/2014/08/apartment-lighting-project-battery-operated-led-cabinet-light/

• Barbara Yacone

Nice ty for the idea. I am from buffalo,ny
  • S

when i remodeled my kitchen i had all under cabinet lighting put in with dimmers & 2 cabinets with glass doors,glass shelves & lights inside for my drinking glasses. when the lights are on, the glasses sparkle. what a difference all this lighting makes. in the evening people always oooh & ahhh when they come in & the soft lights are on.