Katherine W
Katherine W
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Asked on Aug 9, 2012

What's the best way to paint radiators?

Michele CLandlightSAshley
+1

I've got this old house, with radiators and their peeling paint. Some have many layers of peeling paint, and others are a little less so but still ugh. Obviously since they are heating units, the paint has to be able to withstand the heat, not crack more, and not be affected by the peeling paint underneath, unless there is some manner of removing the paint that doesn't involve hours and hours of sitting there as it flakes off. Suggestions? Things that don't work?
  • KMS Woodworks

take advantage of the "summer" and have them removed ...taken off site and sand blasted....you can then spray paint them with a high temp spray paint.

• Ashley

I second what KMS Woodworks has said! The thought of scraping out all the little nooks and crevices by hand makes me stomach hurt, haha.

• LandlightS

You can always get some radiator covers that will hide the poor finish and update the look. These covers can be painted the same colors as the room colors. I had these in my apt in Greenwich Village (so many years ago) Gary

• Michele C

Katherine - Please make sure that the radiator is not painted with lead paint before you begin anything! Contact your county health department if your are not sure.