Martha Washington Sewing Cabinet ~ Reloved

Found this Martha Washington Sewing Cabinet at country sale a while back couldn’t believe they only wanted $10 for it ~ sure it needed some love, the hinges on one of the flip tops were broken & one of the legs was held together with a hose clamp and a zip tie but $10 what a steal! Wasn’t sure exactly what I was going to do with it but I knew I needed to bring it home.
Not very pretty but good bones and lots of potential!
Found the replacement hinges online (they actually cost me more than the cabinet ) replaced those and repaired the broken leg ~ my 1st thought was to paint the entire cabinet but I love combination natural wood & painted pieces so I stripped, sanded, stained and sealed the top and drawer fronts and painted the body using General Finishes Lamp Black ~
Black & brown a timeless combination!
Flip top cubbies ~ perfect for yarn and knitting needles ~ magazines, newspapers whatever you want close by but out of sight...
Finished it up by painting the original knobs and lining the drawers with sewing themed scrap book paper ~ it is a sewing cabinet after all...
Finished! Love how this turned out ~ hope you like it too!

To see more: https://www.facebook.com/dianasdiyden

• Lucy

I have one of these that my mother-in law had and it is in beautiful Condition!

I love it but it has an old musty house smell in the drawers and end sections. I can smell it when I pass by. Tried everything I could think of that were like coffee grounds and other ideas I have heard of. Not working. Any ideas?

• Bcfatbroad

There is a green wood in a bag.that removes all smells..it advertised getting rid of mold another smellss..use them and bag the whole item ..it will remove the smell.i have it in my house .I am not at home to tell you what it is.will check ..

• Karen Harrop Krakowski

I just bought one of these cabinets from a guy at work! I love it! Any idea where to buy the small drawer insert that came with some of them? They were in the top drawer and was divided into three sections. Also, mine has remnants of felt lining in the large storage bins the sides that is kinda falling off.... Do you know, was this added or original??

• Denise Reistad

The lines felt drawers are original! They were used for packets of needles and individual needles and pins. They are easier to pick up (and see) with the felt.

• Ellen

I don't know how to get the hinges off the top flaps on mine. How did you do yours?

• Diana Wearing

I inserted a small driver in the opening moving it around to loosen it and the pulled it out with a pliers – good luck with yours!

• Dawn Bouchard Libby

I have one of these cabinets, it was my Mums. This looks fabulous! I've been wondering what to do to spruce it up. This is what I will do, exactly what you did. Thank you.

• Denise Reistad

I think this would also look great in cream or a warm white. Perfect for a bedside table!