Repurposed Shutter Fence

Attached shutters to an existing wire fence to cover an undesirable view and add a pop of color :) I used zip ties to attach so it’s easy to swap them out & move them around.

To see more: https://www.facebook.com/dianasdiyden

• Lil7892303

What do you fasten them to? I live in Fl. and I need to be prepared in case of a hurricane. Thank you for your advice.

• Fru-gal Lisa

I used to live in DeLand, Fl., and their Habitat for Humanity Bargain Barn had scads of shutters there. I think they were discarded closet doors and many were made of metal that was starting to rust. (Not sure if they still have them, but it'd be worth taking a look.) Seems to me like some Rustoleum spray paint would solve that problem and a welder could permanently fasten them to a chain link fence. Check with the city building dept.for information about keeping them from blowing away in a hurricane. Or maybe you could rig a system where you could easily detatch them from the fence and use them to board up your windows for a hurricane.

• Hei17357589

How do I attach the zip ties to the shutters?

• Diana Wearing

Hi Heidi! I attached them in a couple different ways…for the wider shutters I fed a long plastic zip tie through the slats and through the wire fence behind to attach (you can see one on the brown shutter with the sun on it in this picture) for some of the smaller panel shutters I attached D-ring hangers on the back (the kind you might use on the back of picture to hang it up) and then used small zip ties run through those to attach to the wire fence.

• Hummingbird

I love this idea! I have a metal patio cover that I would like to do this to one side only. I don't have a chainlink fence to attach them to and I have a french drain next to the concrete slab. Any ideas on what I could use to hold them in place with that would convince my husband lol? Your help is greatly appreciated! I too have strong winds living on a very tall hill in Oklahoma. Many thanks!
    • Hummingbird

Thanks for the response. The other part is having to repaint them every few years. I have found some special heavy vinyl ones that would work and can order them through home depot. The expense is not bad. You're right I would not be able to talk him in to that idea either. Maybe a boulder would work. That's what Wilma Flintstone would have done lol! I'll let you know if something happens - Thanks again!

• Joanie

Will you show a complete picture........it looks like wall, or is this it? I really like the finished look.......bravo!

• Diana Wearing

Hi Joanie -

Thank you! It looked like a wall or a fence when finished it was about 65’ long. It changed throughout the years as I found new shutters and replaced damaged ones. I couldn’t locate a picture of the whole fence but parts of it as visible in these.