Maxine L. Baker
Maxine L. Baker
  • Cumberland, MD
Asked on Aug 9, 2012

What is a good natural plant or repellent to keep the deer out of my sedum and hostas???

Pba22096133JoDouglas Hunt
+4

I used Irish Spring for years, but they must now be immune to it. ( and no, I am not going to pee on the perimeter.) I bought a harmless repellent at Lowes. Seems to work, but it is expensive and needs reapplying. Maxi's Taxi
  • Carroll A

I have not tried this yet. My sister and I were just talking about this the other day. She said she put a child's pinwheel next to the plants. They don't like the movement. She is also having some good luck with one of those solar plastic flowers that lights up and changes colors. The deer seem to be scared of it too.

• Walter Reeves

Try the Repellex tablets with capsaicin and let us know the results.

• Sharron W

You can also visit a local Barber/Beauty salon and ask them to give you the vacuum bag of hair clippings....not only is it good for the plants the deer supposedly hate the smell and or the taste of hair in their food....

Try Plantskydd. It meets organic standards.

• Jo

Way too expensive since you must re-apply after each rainfall. I tried it and our deer thought it was salad dressing for their greens
  • Jo

I have moth balls inserted into some panty hose(bags) and strung OVER my container garden (nothing touches the plants) ....works so far....they don't like the small and neither do I, but it is better than planting all your vegies and flowers and have them all gone the next day!!
    The deer have actually been eating the evergreens so I put some moth balls in panty hose (bags) hung from evergreen branches in spots....no more deer eating the evergreens! Moth balls last quite a while even when rained on. Try it...i tried everything else...this seems the best so far. My friend has a sprinkler shed that was infested with mice (they ate the electrical lines) he took my suggestion, put moth balls around and inside his sprinkler shed and no more mice have been coming in.
  • Pba22096133

In the April issue of Garden Gate magazine they sat that Spice Girl Koreanspice viburnum (Viburnum carlesii) gives good protection very fragrant.