Fall Pruning of Climbing Roses

50K Views
One of my Fall clean up chores is pruning and tidying up my climbing roses. This encourages healthy growth and an abundance of blooms next Spring and Summer. there is a link to a very informative video in the website.
  • gardening fall pruning flowers climbing roses, flowers, gardening, porches
Bounteous blooms climbing the porch posts.
Right now they are a mess. Canes gone wild might be an appropriate term. But that will soon change.
I find the main cane, or the sturdiest cane I want to use as the main cane. I had followed this down from the top where it was already climbing across the house eave. I want to encourage that so I have blooms next season along that eave.
I take out all but that cane. I do leave a lateral cane for blooms lower on the rose.
Further up the cane I realized I will need to cut it off and go with the lateral cane. It will now become the main cane.
I still need to strip the rest of the leaves off. I have it attach to hooks across the eave to keep it steady during whipping winter winds. Next Spring and Summer I should have glorious pink roses all along my porch post and eave.
Want to see more, click on over to the blog post and check out the video I linked to. Very helpful.

Suggested materials for this project:

Flower Patch Farmhouse