Fall Pruning of Climbing Roses

One of my Fall clean up chores is pruning and tidying up my climbing roses. This encourages healthy growth and an abundance of blooms next Spring and Summer. there is a link to a very informative video in the website.
Bounteous blooms climbing the porch posts.
Right now they are a mess. Canes gone wild might be an appropriate term. But that will soon change.
I find the main cane, or the sturdiest cane I want to use as the main cane. I had followed this down from the top where it was already climbing across the house eave. I want to encourage that so I have blooms next season along that eave.
I take out all but that cane. I do leave a lateral cane for blooms lower on the rose.
Further up the cane I realized I will need to cut it off and go with the lateral cane. It will now become the main cane.
I still need to strip the rest of the leaves off. I have it attach to hooks across the eave to keep it steady during whipping winter winds. Next Spring and Summer I should have glorious pink roses all along my porch post and eave.
Want to see more, click on over to the blog post and check out the video I linked to. Very helpful.

Get The Outdoor Space You've Always Dreamed Of With These DIY Ideas
15 Genius Ways to Organize Your Bedroom
Make Your Kitchen Beautiful With These 15 Inexpensive Ideas
17 Benches You Can Build This Summer
31 Ways To Get Privacy Inside And Outside Your Home
25 Adorable Ornament Ideas to Get You SUPER Excited for Christmas
16 Floating Shelves That Will Stun Guests
3 Ideas To Use Terracotta Pots You Definitely Haven't Seen Before
Keep Your Craft Supplies Organized With These Fun Storage Ideas
25 Ways You Can Be an Artist - With No Experience Necessary!
Do Your Kitchen Cabinets Need an Update?
3 Gorgeous And Unique Ideas To Display Your Plants
Easy DIY Remedies For Your 7 Most Hated Bugs
30 Stunning Ways To Display Your Plants
Flower Patch Farmhouse

• Nancy Nichols-Miller

What does your home owners insurance agent say about the roses near the eve of your house? Mine (Farmers) Threatened to cancel my policy if I did not remove the roses from touching the house, because they can get under the siding, and under the shingles on the roof and cause leaks. Just wondering how you are able to get around this problem with Insurance?

• Flower Patch Farmhouse

I haven't had an issue with my insurance and yours may be thinking of other invasive creeping plants like wisteria, trumpet vine and ivy. Those send out tendrils that attach to and get under things like the siding and roofing. Roses won't attach themselves, you have to do it or the canes just fall to the ground. I have had mine for 15 years and never had a problem. I would look to get another insurer as well. My rose is attached to hooks along the eave and not the wood, in fact the cane doesn't even touch the eave wood. It hangs from nylon ties.

• Deborah

Absolutely stunning & such great information. I can see from your pictures that your climbing roses get full sun. I do not - only partial. Do you know of a flowering vine I can grow in partial sun?

• Jaq Segal

Great choice, I've heard. I have a jean Jolie climber that I may choose, BUT I have no soil at either side of my front (eastern) porch...