Fall Pruning of Climbing Roses

One of my Fall clean up chores is pruning and tidying up my climbing roses. This encourages healthy growth and an abundance of blooms next Spring and Summer. there is a link to a very informative video in the website.
gardening fall pruning flowers climbing roses, flowers, gardening, porches
Bounteous blooms climbing the porch posts.
Right now they are a mess. Canes gone wild might be an appropriate term. But that will soon change.
I find the main cane, or the sturdiest cane I want to use as the main cane. I had followed this down from the top where it was already climbing across the house eave. I want to encourage that so I have blooms next season along that eave.
I take out all but that cane. I do leave a lateral cane for blooms lower on the rose.
Further up the cane I realized I will need to cut it off and go with the lateral cane. It will now become the main cane.
I still need to strip the rest of the leaves off. I have it attach to hooks across the eave to keep it steady during whipping winter winds. Next Spring and Summer I should have glorious pink roses all along my porch post and eave.
Want to see more, click on over to the blog post and check out the video I linked to. Very helpful.

Flower Patch Farmhouse

• Nancy Nichols-Miller

What does your home owners insurance agent say about the roses near the eve of your house? Mine (Farmers) Threatened to cancel my policy if I did not remove the roses from touching the house, because they can get under the siding, and under the shingles on the roof and cause leaks. Just wondering how you are able to get around this problem with Insurance?

• Mgmom

with proper attention,care, and pruning, you can mitigate that

• Nancy Nichols-Miller

Oh, I guess I need to find a new insurance company, Because Farmers does not see it that way.

• Nancy Nichols-Miller

You place is beautiful however

• Karol

Leave the roses and change your insurance agent. Apparently he is not a gardener.

• Flower Patch Farmhouse

I haven't had an issue with my insurance and yours may be thinking of other invasive creeping plants like wisteria, trumpet vine and ivy. Those send out tendrils that attach to and get under things like the siding and roofing. Roses won't attach themselves, you have to do it or the canes just fall to the ground. I have had mine for 15 years and never had a problem. I would look to get another insurer as well. My rose is attached to hooks along the eave and not the wood, in fact the cane doesn't even touch the eave wood. It hangs from nylon ties.

• Deborah

Absolutely stunning & such great information. I can see from your pictures that your climbing roses get full sun. I do not - only partial. Do you know of a flowering vine I can grow in partial sun?

• Flower Patch Farmhouse

How long of sunshine does the area get? That will be a good determining factor. Zepherine Droughn rose can tolerate part sun and bloom well, in fact this one that I demo'd on is that rose. The location it is in gets morning sun but afternoon shade. Many Clematis also do well in part shade. I hope this helps.

• Jaq Segal

Great choice, I've heard. I have a jean Jolie climber that I may choose, BUT I have no soil at either side of my front (eastern) porch...