Donna Marie P
Donna Marie P
  • Buffalo, NY
Asked on Aug 10, 2012

What plant is this?

Jeanette SSue KieneSharron W
+5

There are three that look different but all the same bulbs
q what plant is this
q what plant is this
q what plant is this
  • Shirley C

These are Caladiums. They come in a variety of colors. Especially nice for fall color.

• Susan S

Yep, they are caladiums!! One of my favs to put in container gardens!! Did you plant these?? They will not make it thru the winter in NY. I had some in the ground a few seasons ago and they don't survive the cold!!

• Jeanette S

You are a lucky girl! These are caladiums....my very favorite plant. They survive drought and heat. They are not from the same bulb...you got a package of mixed bulbs. Caladium like to touch...if you plant them close (as directed) they thrive. Here are mine for this year. They can get expensive so I order the mixed box of 200 out of Florida. They have always been wonderful for me. You can take them up this fall, cut off tops and wash them; leave them under a tree in the shade to dry a day or so and then pack them in layers in newspaper in a dry space (in NY...inside).

As Susan says, you will have to dig these up if you want them to survive. Caladiums hate cold soil, which you have an abundance of in Buffalo.

• Donna Marie P

Thank you for the answers and advice. I will dig them up in the fall.

• Sharron W

I love Caladiums! My favorite are the green and white...

, Mine have been moved from the sunny corner they occupy in early spring to under the oak tree so they ll survive this heat
  • Sue Kiene

Yes caladiums and they are gorgeous colors

• Jeanette S

I used to buy these by the hundreds out of Florida. They were stunning!