Donna Marie P
Donna Marie P
  • Buffalo, NY
Asked on Aug 10, 2012

What is this plant?

Susan SBecky H360 Sod (Donna Dixson)
+4

How does it grow? Big or small? Crawling or bushlike?
q what is this plant
  • KMS Woodworks

I vaguely remember a house plant that looked a bit like this 30 + years ago I think it was a type of impatiens ...variegated milk ?

Where is it growing? How tall is it now?

• 360 Sod (Donna Dixson)

It if is fairly smallish it is probably Hypoestes or Polka dot plant. It is used frequently in mixed flower basket arrangement giftie things. It can be used as an annual in our zone 7b, in the shade. Will not survive our winter here.

• Donna Marie P

I think polka dot is the right answer I couldn't remember what I was told. It is small and kinda bushy. Should it be a house plant and not live outside?

• 360 Sod (Donna Dixson)

It probably won't make it through the winter if you leave it outside. They make great terrarium plants.

• Becky H

Indeed, 4S is correct; it' a polka dot plant, and prolific. I put one into one of my plant beds and had them popping up everywhere...........but then, that's Fla. life.

• Susan S

Donna Marie - I have a pink polka dot plant. In the past I've bought them to put in my container gardens but I don't remember buying any last year at all. Well, just about a month ago one came up in a container on my deck that I didn't have anything planted in this year!! Must have been some dormant seeds, although I didn't see any seed pods either. Go figure, right???